You wouldn't let your child ride in a car unsecured, why would you let them ride on a school bus unsecured?

It really bothers me that it's illegal to let a child ride in a car without a seatbelt, yet in most states school buses don't even have seatbelts. Why? would you allow your child to ride this way on a bus and why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Jun. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would never let my child ride a school bus for that reason. I mean in an accident they have a seat with a metal bar in front of them to hit. There are less school bus accidents but when there are, all of the kids on the bus end up in the hospital.
    princessmommy32

Answer by princessmommy32 at 11:19 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• that's what makes me nervous about my dd starting school, not that she'd ride a bus to & from school, but for field trips & stuff....maybe they'll all require seatbelts for buses by the time she's 5
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:07 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I refused to send my son in....When he was preschool age I refused to send him unless they installed a carseat.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:12 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I think the same thing. My daughter rides the bus home and I pick her up at the bus stop. I freaked out one day because the bus has to come across a very very busy street and I watched as my daughter was standing up bu the bus driver while the crossed. I was so upset.
    yaffamommy

Answer by yaffamommy at 5:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I don't, we homeschool.

Have you weighed the pro's AND con's of school bus seatbelts? This isn't a new debate. There have been a lot of good points for not having them.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:18 AM on Jun. 8, 2009