brown gravy?

how do you make brown gravy at home from scratch?

twinsnseptember

Asked by twinsnseptember at 11:07 AM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• put a little vegetable oil in a skillet, let it get hot, add flour and milk, stir
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I like to use the drippings from whatever meat was cooked. Then add beef or chicken broth, pepper, and some thickener. (Either flour or gravy thickener) Boil it up for a couple minutes and yum! Be sure to use a whisk to stir it a lot or you might get lumps from the flour.
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 11:20 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I make my gravy from the broth that is formed when I cook my meat. I always add a bit of water when I bake my roast beef, etc. After lifting the finished meat out of the pan, I put the pan with the "broth" onto a stove-top burner. I turn it on med-high to get it started to a simmering boil, adding a cup or more of water to kinda thin it down. I then take Wondra flour (comes in a canister) and sprinkle that over the liquid, whisking it in with every addition to keep out the lumps. When I feel that the gravy is thick enough, I will add several drops of Gravy Master, enough to darken the gravy to my liking.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 11:59 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• boil beef broth
    add some pepper
    in a seperate bowl, mix flour and water
    then put that mix into the broth...thicken it and youre all set.

same thing with chicken or anything else.
    i would try to use some of the actual drippings and if there arent enough, just used canned broth
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 12:42 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• theres gravy in a package that u can u too can buy it at walmart
    Anonymous

• I start out with some Beef Drippings from any Meat I used or have. (I Also save any Drippings from EI.: A Turkey, Roasts, Pork Etc.. I freeze it in old Small Plastic Baby food containers or any thing Small like that for Any Time!). Back to the Gravy at hand! I put the Drippings in A Sauce pan. I heat it up. Mind you I have maybe 4 0z. I add to it while on med. high heat some Beef Base powder to Taste & I wisk it up! Meanwhile I have taken about 4 T. of Flour mixed in 3 Cups of Cold Water I whisk that up in A 4 Cup Glass measuring cup. So it has no lumps I add+ A little at A time. I may crank up the Heat while stirring constantly. I add+ as much Black pepper as I like. Stirring still. Then I turn the heat down. I taste to see if it needs more Beef Base or More flour to thicken itc.. I also may mix in some Chicken Base too for interesting Flavor! Hope it works out! Good Gravy takes Trial & Error but you'll get there!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 5:19 PM on Jun. 7, 2009