WIC QUESTION:)))))

My daughter is 7 months and a week old...we have WIC to get her formula and she is currently eating more than they are giving us on a months worth of checks...is there any way they will put more formula on the checks or do they not do that??? 1st time user of WIC so sorry if its a stupid question...
Thanks:)))

MadisynsMom0114

Asked by MadisynsMom0114 at 11:12 AM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think they do. After they turn 6 months they normally lower the amount of cans and add cereal and baby food. Especially since when eating the baby food and cereal it fills them up more, so they eat less.
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 11:15 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• i was told that they give you a set amount (usually 10 cans) per month and if you run out its YOUR problem. nice of them isn't it? so i guess if your baby doesn't eat according to their guidelines its your problem and not theirs. the nutrition lady looked me in the eye and told me "well sometimes you just have to pay out of pocket if you run out"

gee thanks lady, i'm on wic because i'm filthy rich and can afford to pay for an extra 3 cans costing $25+ more a month!

but that was in FL so maybe it varies state to state. it wouldn't hurt to ask and see if they will add more.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:16 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• YEAH LOL!!!!! thank you tnm786 and KareemsMami:))) I am in Florida so i guess it would be the same as you. I cant use my checks until tomorrow and Im going to buy her 3rd can today!!! Maybe its just a growth spurt
    MadisynsMom0114

Answer by MadisynsMom0114 at 11:22 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Ya well I'm in NY and only last month did they raise the cans from 9-10 a month, but then Kareem hit 6 months and now we're down to 7 a month.
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 11:24 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• you will have to buy some mama. the moms local to me think wic should provide it all and don't realie that it is only supplumental food.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:30 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Wow...yeah it pretty much sucks...she is not too fond of solids yet i try to feed her different kind every 3-4 days and she dont really like any of them
    MadisynsMom0114

Answer by MadisynsMom0114 at 11:31 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Talk to your Ped about samples they are very good about handing them out if you explain your situation. and make sure to sign up with the formula companies online. A lot of those do free samples to. Don't be afraid of using store brands in between. they are still regulated and required to have the same nutrition as the big brands.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:02 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• no WIC only has a set amount of formula they can give you a month anything beyond that you have to buy your self. which ever formul ayou are useing go to their website sign up and you can get samples (whole cans) and coupons.

www.enfamil.com

www.similac.com

and ofr nestle goodstart its on

www.gerber.com

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• anon1228: nursing isn't exactly cost free if you have to work...a good quality pump that can keep up your supply is around 250 dollars plus the milk storage bags and bottles...even renting a pump is o less that 60 a month. You can get a hand pump for free but it will not keep up your supply for long. So shut up about things you know nothing about. For all you know the people on WIC who need extra support could have been rolling in dough when they got PG but shit happens! I hope nothing happens to your family where you need to ask for help.
    Anonymous

• I was on WIC when my oldest was a baby, and he almost always drank more formula than what they gave us. As a pp said, WIC is meant to be a supplemental program - they give you/your baby foods to help supplement the diet. Like for pregnant women they give you milk, cheese, cereal, juice, etc. but its not meant to be all of your food for the month. So for most babies who are formula fed, you'll likely need to buy an extra few cans of formula each month.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2009