IS it normal that i get frustrated easily... when my children are not listening..

beautifulmoma3

Asked by beautifulmoma3 at 11:20 AM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well, no, but dont get too overly frustrated. If youre dealing with preschoolers, then its to be expected. Dont expect more out of them than they can give you. They are easily distracted and thoughts will fly out if their brain faster than lightning. So give one command at a time, such as...Please sit down, its time for lunch. Get that done first before giving any other directions. I used to tell my 5 yr old...go to your room, get all your colored clothes and take them to the laundry room, then return and pick up all the books and if you need to use the bathroom dont wait...ect. Then I would get mad at her for not doing it. She would cry and say she forgot. Well, she really did forget and if there was anything interesting going on at the same time, forget it. Shes 14 now so I can give her more instructions but just remember that their attentions are short. Also get down and look them in the eye and make sure they hear you.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:25 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• IT IS normal. BUT something I noticed is that if my preschooler SEES me get flustered, it adds to the trouble. I cant get my husband to understand this. Its ok to get upset, just don't let your kids see you get upset. They are smarter than we give them credit for and will use it against you. My 4 year old knows how to really push my buttons. She just wants attention, good OR bad. Don't get mad in front of your preschooler and find a technique that works for you.
    acissejessica

Answer by acissejessica at 1:06 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• o boy i get really frustrated to the point where i get migrains with my kids....i usally have to put my self intime out and calm down to relax...when i had my own house i accomplised that by locking the kids in their room and sitting on my porch in the warm sun either reading a book or listening to mother nature song.yea i get critize for it but its better then flipping out on the kids or hurting myself in front of them. its even harder when u dont have someone to give u abreak that u need.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 1:37 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• yes, but kids feed of of your emotions. i pick my battles because i dont want to "fight" my kkids all day. i want to be a good mom and have fun with my kids at the same time.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I go to school full time and work part time and have tons of homework so I'm super stressed anyways and catch myself getting frustrated with my ds all the time, and I know its just cause i'm stressed from other things. Since i'm also a single parent and have no one to give me a break I find it best to let my son watch a movie in his room while I shower or just lay in bed in the quiet for like 20 minutes...It helps calm me down so I'm not snapping at him for everything and he enjoys getting the tv time.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:37 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I'm like ba13ygrl1987... when I'm stressed, it comes out. So I have to decompress a bit. Just get through the moment and promise yourself you'll put the child into an activity where you can sit for 5 min. and regroup.

good luck, you're not alone!
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 1:30 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I say YES, it so sooo normal. I can't say that i've perfected this by any means I am still struggling, they say as long as you don't spank you kids while you're upset (which i'm guilty of) and give them either a constructive outlet while you get your head together, I too am going to school, working full time and taking care of twins... they drive me nuts most of the time!!
    mommy2_twins

Answer by mommy2_twins at 1:19 PM on Jun. 15, 2009