Breastfeeding problems

Hi my baby is almost 2 weeks on tuesday, he hates being breast fed so i pump every 2 to 3 hrs, i pump about 4oz each time, but my baby drinks also about 2 to 3 oz every 2 hrs, is there anything i can do to increase my breastmilk, im afraid i wont have enough to give him, i have tried several times to see if he attaches to my breast but he just screams and i feel bad so i bottle feed him, but only breast milk.

BigSurprise2

Asked by BigSurprise2 at 11:39 AM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Congratulations on your baby! Breastfeeding is such a wonderful thing. I know a lot of mothers who had trouble getting their babies to latch, but in no time the problem worked itself out and the baby was nursing all the time. Just keep trying. Pumping is definitely the right thing to do. That will keep your milk production up. Your body will most likely be able to keep up with the demand, but honestly if you have to give him some formula to supplement until he starts latching on, it will be okay. I have a friend who had a similar problem and she would swaddle her baby before trying to feed and this calmed the baby enough that she started to latch. Good luck and don't give up!!!!
    MamaApril2

Answer by MamaApril2 at 11:50 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• How many times are you pumping in 24 hours? Usually the best way to increase supply is to pump more frequently, even just for a few days. Try pumping every 2 hours during the day. Spending time with your baby skin to skin on your chest (you bare from the waist up, baby in only a diaper) can boost your milk supply and may get baby back to the breast. Check out the info at Baby-led attachment

and

When baby does not yet latch

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:50 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• After spending an hour or two in skin-to-skin contact, many babies wake up, and start to show signs of readiness to breastfeed. Baby turns his head from side-to-side (rooting) and makes scooping motions with his hands. When a baby does this, he is starting to look for the breast. He will start to scootch downward, toward one of your breasts. Just let him scoot himself down toward the breast, and find it himself. The mother needs to be patient and not rush the process. Sometimes it takes several sessions of skin-to-skin contact before the baby actually finds the nipple and latches on.

However, even when the baby is not actually nursing, skin-to-skin is helpful. It increases mother's milk supply. It helps to "organize" the baby's behavior so that he learns to feed more easily. Skin-to-skin contact also keeps your baby warm and secure and helps him use all his energy to grow.
    maggiemom2000

• Congrats on the new bundle! I definitely don't think your child HATES to breastfeed! I agree with the above to keep pumping. I'm not going to lambaste you though if you two can't make it work and you wind up having to formula feed. You can always try contacting a lactation consultant to make sure latch on is right; try to make sure that you aren't feeding your baby well after he's hungry - remember that crying is a LATE sign of hunger. It may be that he's just so hungry and worked up by that time that he's overstressed, which stresses YOU out, which interferes with let-down, which makes it tougher for him to get milk...etc. Vicious cycle. Keep trying mama and good luck!
    NaterbugsMom

Answer by NaterbugsMom at 12:22 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Keep trying mama....oatmeal and fenugreek can help increase supply. also when pumping keep going at least 10 minutes per side beyond when milk is coming out. This can help increase. He should be in a growth spurt about now. If you would like to get baby to breast a supplumental nursing system could be a huge help

ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:25 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I would try to get help from a lactation consultant to help your baby learn to breastfeed. Like a pp said, I don't think babies can possibly hate it, some just have trouble figuring it out. More pumping sessions is the most effective way to increase the volume you pump, but it can be very, very difficult to keep up with a growing baby just pumping (I'm NOT suggesting you give up, of course!). Babies are ultimately more effective than pumps and babies can cluster feed when they're going through a growth spurt to up your supply to meet their needs. So doing this with a pump can be difficult. I really think a lactation consultant could help you with either way you end up going (pumping or nursing). Good luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Check out oversupply and thrush online and see if either applies to you and or baby. Congratulations on your new LO!

Anonymous