When do you think the optomism about the economy will fade again?

So, there has been a lot of optimism about the economy lately. I'm not quite sure why since we still have housing issues that are getting worse. Credit is contracting at a faster rate than expected. The banks are still insolvent but made to look ok by changing a couple of accounting rules. The unemployment rate is still getting worse. So, when do you think all the optimism you're hearing about will fade?

smalltowngal

Asked by smalltowngal at 11:44 AM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 1 (-9 Credits)
  • It all stands firm from our spirit. We as survivors are strugglers. BUT....we as conquerors are neverending. People are diverse, not comparable to a segment of brief and puny economic saga. The way the so -called economy is has little to relate to what blend or flavor of mind one person or groups of people have. IT's like having a coffee at times you want a mocha-latte, at times you just want chai - tea, and sometimes plain tea. Depending on what source you seek, and what answers one wishes to receive, the simple things of life all depend on one thing similar, the human spirit. We aren't what the economy makes us, so when one digs for a "job" one does so as to their interests unless they just take what is given at the hedge. I've done some jobs that totally wrecked my physical body but made me bolder in many other ways. News and media only exploit the cream of the top. Those few aren't the news, that's "OLD!"
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 11:53 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• As soon as campaign season shifts into high gear. You're not going to get re-elected by telling people who ran out of unemployment 6 months ago, can't afford COBRA and have had the limits on all their credit cards reduced below the balances for making minimum payments, that everything is awesome.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:54 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• the lines of the media aren't always what's happening, and may be very worn over, exploited as the above reply, it's old news and brought late in the game so what is seen can only be taken as what is seen at that moment. Coverage of news of what is lableled current events aren't current.It's the shared abused and often passed around and around by news casts that are only looking for public downplay. They aren't there to pick up the solution or give relief to hurting people they are their on t.v to compete with other broadcasts and rarely share truth or current news. It's what is passed around and settled on. Much of the really current times are so expensive to cover, we may hear about them one or 2 years after they'd occured. Most t.v. shows are over 15 yrs. old. But sitting home in a room with a box of light isn't real life is it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• When the media stops making it up.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:03 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I hope the optimism does not fade. I don't think it will ever get better as long as people are scared.
    Anonymous

• If you don't depend on the government or the news your life will improve alot. I think people need to start focusing on things like townhallforhope.com and others that show the good side. My DH is one who is on and off of layoff. He could get a job tomorrow if he wanted however what is the point when they pay more on unemployment. If they let him work and then collect the remaining portion from unemployment he would work some place out.

The news likes the bad economy. Stop listening and go out and network. Jobs are no longer advertised through the paper they are through word of mouth. You let enough key people know your looking and you will find something. Although if you continue the whole eeyore doom and gloom attitude you will never get a job
    Anonymous

• When people realize that the experts that are on work for the govy and are making things up so that people will not rebel. In other words long enough for govy. to implement total control over our lives.

Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 7:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• It's all speculation, but it will be good for the economy if people who are still employed and financially OK start spending a little more freely, so if consumer confidence is up that is always a good sign for the economy. It pays to be optimistic!
    I heard interviews from two highly respected economists on NPR, one said the economy would start to recover before the end of this year, and the employment rate would improve about 4-6m later (since it takes business a long time to feel comfortable about a recovery.) The other one said there would be no solid signs of recovery until 2011.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 7:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I heard interviews from two highly respected economists on NPR, one said the economy would start to recover before the end of this year, and the employment rate would improve about 4-6m later (since it takes business a long time to feel comfortable about a recovery.) The other one said there would be no solid signs of recovery until 2011.

I personally agree with the second looking at all the data I've seen. For DH and I personally, it paid for us to be pessimistic and our retirement money actually went up unlike most people's going down. I know in a way it's good for the general public to be optimistic but I really hate how numbers are manipulated and when things go down, it's usually the general public that ends up loosing the most money.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 8:19 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• it's usually the general public that ends up loosing the most money.
    _______________________
    I agree, smalltown! But, I do think there's a lot of truth. Consumer confidence is one of the main considerations that form the economy. So while false optimism and irresponsibility isn't called for, if you have a steady income and good savings, it will help everyrone from your local grocery store to the travel industry, both of which employ lots of people.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:01 PM on Jun. 7, 2009