The Sleep Sense Program

So I hear Dana Obleman is a professional infant and chilp sleep speacialist...Has anyone ever used her books? And do they really work?? I have a 9 month old that recently has been waking up 2-3 time a night and he relys on his pacifier to get back to bed..I am trying to break that habit :) Any advice on the program or sleep habits?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my 2 month old is like that. I have to hold the paci in his mouth otherwise he will scream. I haven't heard of the program, but im curious.
    rebel_mommy09

Answer by rebel_mommy09 at 3:27 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Interesting. I looked online at this program, which seems very common sense to me. It doesn't look like anything odd or out of the ordinary. Matter of fact, it prob. (b/c the online info is limited) appears to be what our ped. taught her families.

I parented my 1st two "on demand" and found that at age 4&5 they were stilling waking all nite long. They were difficult to put to bed at nite and I was extremely sleep dep. with my 3rd preg. AT the birth of my 3rd baby a friend took me to see the famous Dr. Denmark and she taught me not only how to help my baby sleep thru, but also my preschoolers. It was perfect and began working within 3 days of implementing her common sense principles.

All 3, then eventually 4, were very well rested, very happy and perfectly healthy. We were able to be a happy and content family b/c we were all rested. :) Hope you find your way soon. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 4:14 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I have not used it, but it's just another cry it out / controlled program. I was not impressed, because I took the survey, and then I started getting e-mails, trying to get me to buy the program. The last e-mail I got was about this "poor mom" whose husband was sleeping on the couch because she was up and down going to get the baby all night and it disturbed his sleep. She just wanted her "marriage back." Well, maybe that husband should have gotten up off his couch and HELPED and then maybe she would have wanted to have sex with him. But she doesn't call it crying, it's "protesting." So, really, it's cio / controlled crying with nicer sounding words than "cio."
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 5:11 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• With my little ones, I have tended to them whenever they cry. However, at 6 months of age, 9 in your case, they should be able to sooth themselves. Make sure baby gets enough to eat, isnt too hot/cold, not soiled. It is also good to have a set routine like doing bathes, singing, or reading. Put baby to bed the same time every nitght. Sometimes all they want is attention and to be held, but in the middle of the night 2-3 times that gets to be too much and it could start to mess with our routines and scheduals from being tired during the day. If my little one (7 months) wakes I go to her and make sure her needs are met. If there is nothing wrong, I will let her cry. It doesnt usually take any longer than 15 minutes. Around 9 months babies also go through growing spurts that can mess with their sleeping patterns.
    crazy_n_fun_mom

Answer by crazy_n_fun_mom at 7:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2009