Universal Healthcare and motherhood - will government put more demands pre&post pregnancy lifestyles?

A recent study at University of California/Berkeley studied pregnant women and found that women who took at least one month off from work before their due date were FOUR times less likely to have Cesarean sections. According to Florida agency for Healthcare, C-sections cost between $11,000 - $30,000 each and are twice as much of vaginal births. Insured patients pay the same amount for either type therefore the American Healthcare system passes high costs on to consumers and taxpayers.

Currently, moms get 12 weeks of Federal mandated maternity leave and researchers found that moms who have increased maternity leave have greater success of breastfeeding. Also, if 50% of all mothers BREASTFED for 6 months, the country would save $3.6 BILLION a year in healthcare, according to US Department of Agriculture.

Do you think that universal healthcare will have more control of pregnancies and increase pre & post maternity leave?

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 12:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• no more planned c-sections for women!!! yeah!!!! taxpayers should not have to pay for them!!! If babies get too big or mom are unhealthy - then shame on the OBs!!! moms need better pre-natal care and more rest, less work. I'm all FOR THIS!!!!

Anonymous

• Do you think that universal healthcare will have more control of pregnancies and increase pre & post maternity leave?

Unfortunately. They'll ignore the fact that most people can't afford to live with an extra month of unpaid leave, or that not everyone is able to breastfeed, and that, no matter the cost, there are times when a c-section is required. Instead, they'll try to force every pregnant woman into the same little box, avoiding dealing with outlying issues as long as possible, and end up creating more risks for mothers and children.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Agree NP HUUUUM
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Sorry, It's all BS. That would make no sense whatsoever. One has nothing to do with the other. And nothing in your question seems to even remotely come close to what your initial question was. Stop with the nonsense.
    Anonymous

• One has nothing to do with the other.

When the same entity that has the power to determine who is or isn't a fit parent will also be controlling that parent's healthcare with the focus on cost saving and preserving their budget, they absolutely are related.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:23 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• absofrickenlutely NP you got it.What a damn nightmare.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:25 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• maybe it will, maybe it won't. but either way, it wouldn't matter and it cannot be changed. there are so many reasons why c-sections have a NEED to be performed. and there are also many reasons why breastfeeding IS NOT feasible for some babies. i wanted to breastfeed my first child so bad, and her nasal passages were so small that she would suffocate if she tried to breastfeed. i did not want a c-section with my 2nd child, but it was impossible not to because her head was so big it wouldn't fit and she was a 10 lb baby. so if they do away with formula and c-sections there will be unnecessary fatalities. im assuming this statement was created by the all natural "must breastfeed must deliver vaginally" type of woman.
    Anonymous

• well as a military wife, I have been forced into 2 csections and now going to have my 3rd. My oldest was the only baby I had naturally, with a midwife. She listened to me and even though it was 21 hrs of active labor, I was blessed to have him naturally. I am a tiny frame, and require induction along with epidural. My second child was at a military facility that induced w/o an epidural-31hrs active painful labor, caused swelling so bad my body couldnt proceed. That csection was a smooth one done by someone knowing what they were doing. My 3rd son was 20 days early-somehow w/o leaks there was little fluid left for him-talk about a quick csection that resulted in blatter scars and complications for me. Now we are told that because I have had 2 prior csections that I will have to have a 3rd one, i have had such pain throughout this pregnancy. I dont think the govt cares, women are genie pigs for their pleasure.
    DawnPratt23

Answer by DawnPratt23 at 12:33 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

totally agree with you!!
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:16 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• The govt will control more than just that under universal healthcare. Every issue you face medically will no longer be yours or your Dr. decision it will be government mandate.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:27 PM on Jun. 7, 2009