When can babies start to eat

table food? My son is six months old and he eats bananas, apple sauce, carrots, sweet potatoes, and the oatmeal rice cereal. I know he's not supposed to have berries for a while or cow's milk but when can we start letting him taste foods that we eat like breakfast foods and things like mashed potatoes for dinner?

ours

Asked by ours at 12:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• now is okay, it's not going to hurt him
    Anonymous

• as long as its soft food he can start whenever you are ready to give it to him.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 1:37 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• as long as you start out with soft stuff, he can have it now. many babies don't ever eat pureed food.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:08 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• We started offering at 6 months. By 9 months they were all totally on table foods.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:40 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Ditto what TiccledBlue said. Just be sure you're not introducing tons of new ingredients at a time and make sure everything is soft enough and small enough to be gummed and not to pose a choking hazard. My first daughter didn't do much with finger foods until about 8-9 months, but my now 9 month-old won't have anything to do with any form of purees (not even homemade!). Just watch your baby's cues and move as quickly as he wants.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My sons ALMOST 6 months and he eats everything that comes in stage two bottle baby food...its eating up at my wallet, so hes gonna move up to table food in the blender soon! everyone in my fam started table food at six months...kinda simple bland stuff..then moved up from there
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I would be sure and keep him to all mashed food. Many families have taken their blender or food processor and ground up with the rest of the family has for meals, but keep that we generally add too much salt and sugar for baby to have. But there are ways around that too. Keeping him to only mashed food is the smartest thing b/c remember that back teeth are for chewing and grinding food.

Alot of families get excited about introducing table foods to baby too young. Without a full set of molars baby has to gum his food which is not chewed well enough for the stomach to process it well. The stomach then pushes it into the colon where its not absorbed, and then it leaves the body with no nutritional value at all. :)

Young moms will give ideas of what finger foods they offer, but I wouldn't give anything that baby can not swallow without chewing. The melting snacks seem to be fine but can still choke baby.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 4:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2009