any good snacks for lactose intolerant kids at birthday?

ok yesterday we went to a birthday party and they had a chocolate cake with chocolate icing, and ice cream...my 2 yr son is loctose intolerant and had to watch the other kids eat i felt horible...any tips on what i can take for him to eat instead of cake and ice cream?

christian564

Asked by christian564 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Kids' Health

• His favorite fruit. My LO's love fruit more than cake any day. Also you could bring him a fruit Popsicle.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:17 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• theres a great place in bethlehem pa called vegan treats...im pretty sure they ship things to your home...google them. everything is great!
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 1:33 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• You can always make cupcakes from a cake mix--just use soy or rice milk, or lactose-free milk for the cupcakes.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:11 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• If he is lactose intolerant then he should be able to eat food that is made with milk, like cake. Most lactose intolerant people do fine with most dairy in moderation as long as they don't drink milk.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• http://www.cherrybrookkitchen.com/

This company makes cake mixes, cookie mixes, frostings etc...

I highly recommend the chocolate chip cookie mix. We use dairy free butter with it.

Also Pilsbury makes some frostings without dairy ( the ones that come with sprinkles) and also they have dairy free cake mixes.

Those are some options to look for treats. If you have a whole foods near you, you could get some dairy free icecream, cookies, snacks etc...too.

J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 4:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• If he is only lactose intolerant, he should be able to eat a small piece of cake and ice cream. I am lactose intolerant and still eat dairy on occasion, it doesn't always bother me.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:00 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• bring him a pie or something he loves to eat. i know when i was younger my mom took time to make sure i had something for when b-days in are family came around. my pie was allway fruity and you know what my brothers would eat mine instead of the cake. so if you do dring something for him maybe bring a lill more.
    jacobmommy62106

Answer by jacobmommy62106 at 11:58 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Make him dairy free cupcakes and take it w/ you. Dont know of any recipies but look it up online I'm sure you'll find something.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Instead of animal milk, use a plant milk in your cupcakes. Buy or make ice cream from plant milk or tofu.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2009