why can't people understand that the bible's translations are not always accurate?

http://www.religioustolerance.org/wic_bibl2.htm

http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_bmar.htm

the top two contain two issues in the bible that are brought up a lot here in this section.. it's tiring to hear some Christians misinterpreting things, in order to find justification in their own bigotry. (note: I say some, because there are a lot of GOOD Christians out there, and this is not directed at the Good, only the confused, and hateful ones).

Although I'm not a Christian any longer, I still think Christians should read as much as they can on their religion. I feel that a number of them know little of their religion itself beyond the bible (which as you can see, has a number of different interpretations of things, so your version my not be accurate on all counts). History has more that what the bible offers. Please research it... Cont.

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 1:16 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It is sad that these people claim to read their bible EVERY DAY and still don't notice things. Someone else in here made a comment in another post that her grandmother (or some relative) went to her grave believing the earth was flat because of a passage in the bible that says "...the four corners of the earth". There is another passage in the bible that says "....the circle of the earth". So why pick one phrase and believe it and see another as meaningless????

I do notice that ANYONE can come up with a passage somewhere in the bible that backs up ANYTHING they have to say, even if it completely contradicts what the next person believes who got THEIR belief from the same book! It boggles my mind. One example I can think of is that a translation of the word thought to mean "homosexual" in the bible might just mean "having feminine traits"....and it didn't say "a man having feminine traits", just a person.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• There are so many things people overlook.. or misunderstand, when they don't understand the history behind the book they cherish. It's like seeing a 5 minute video clip of the World War... you get ideas of what happened.. but 5 minutes is not enough to cover the WHOLE story, from end to end.

Read your bible, if that's what you believe.. but research the rest of history.
    Another example of "errors" people make... 'virgin" in the bible... was originally meant to say "young girl"... (as far as Mary goes)..

if you read enough about history, you will have more tolerance for others, and we (the others) will have more tolerance of you. (because your research will strip any thoughts you may have misinterpreted, most of which, fall on the lines of bigotry)...

Christians.. although your religion started on Hate, Greed, Political movements, and lies... you've over come a lot to become a "loving religion".
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:22 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I don't agree with how the religion started.. but it has formed into a completely different kind. So why, when you read the bible.. do you find ways to still hold on to that little bit of hate that your religion started from? Correct me if I'm wrong.. but your Jesus died to try to erase such pasts and errors...

Even though I don't believe in Jesus as the son of God.. I do believe in respecting the memories of those that have died.. and the few of you that make claims that are only meant to inflame others, are not being who you think you are.. you think your preaching is Good... and it's not... it's full of hate, to try to manipulate others.. the vary things your Jesus died to erase.

To those that fit into what I am saying.. you shame your religion. Why?
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:25 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• do you believe in the bible? do you follow the bible? why do you care so much what others think of the bible. Why can't YOU grasp some believe the bible is a literal translation that speaks to the person personally by God therefore it does not matter if it is an accurate translation or not.

Why are so many non Christians always wanting to crawl up the butt of a Christian with a microscope?
    Anonymous

• "I don't agree with how the religion started.."

Then don't practice it.
    Anonymous

• Why are so many non Christians always wanting to crawl up the butt of a Christian with a microscope?

Why do so many Christians insist on backing up their claims with nothing but a biblical verse that they have chopped out of context or taken to mean what their pastor told them it means instead of looking for themself?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:38 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Exactly...I was going to say that we enjoy crawling up the butts of Christians with microscopes because we genuinely want to know how it's possible to believe in an ancient religion with no real tangible proof of its legality and reality.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:39 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Anon, the thing is, if your beliefs were harmless, I wouldn't give a rat's @$$! :) That's why I have no issues with most Pagan beliefs, because I've never seen an instance in the modern world where it's caused anything bad! But SOME translations of the bible cause hate, judgment, and even deaths! That's why I have a problem with it.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 1:42 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• LOL are you serious! Christians use the bible because that is where their faith lies.

You don't have to like it, you don't have to believe it, you don't have to agree with it, and you have shown you don't have to respect it.

From my undesrtanding, Christians walk by faith not tangible proof.
    Anonymous

• sorry MCG, as much as you have the right to have a problem with the Christian way of life. I understand you have the right to speak against it, but really the way you and others go about it only hurts your cause. You are not going to change the mind of anyone by these types of post.

This questioned was answered. The bible speaks personally to the individual. The same verse can be interpreted for a different situation no matter what the translation is. It seems this section of the answers moms are not looking for answers just a way to prove other wrongs.

Now I am going to take my kids swimming. Later
    Anonymous