is it ok to use a heating pad on your back while your pregnant

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was told no for the same reason you are not supposed to be in really hot baths or hot tubs. Baby cannot control their body temp, and it is very easy to overheat them.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• i was told it was ok as long as it wasn't for more than 10 mins at a time. i would ask your own doc though b/c each doc is going to have a diff opinion (and i was also told this at the end of my pregnancy, around the 36 week mark so i was pretty far along)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:33 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• i was told i was okay. you have thick muscles in your back
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 1:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• As far as I know it's perfectly fine to apply some heat to your back. I make and heat rice socks for clients to use as soothing compresses during the end of pregnancy as well as labor and delivery and have never run into any problems with them using them, even with their doctors around. Heat applies to the front and sides of the stomach, however, are a totally different story!
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 1:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I was told it was ok but not more than 20 min at a time
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2009