What's the best way to end pacifier use?

lisalp

Asked by lisalp at 1:37 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Throw it away.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 1:40 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I agree with Bexi, just get rid .. the whole weaning from thing just prolongs the end result ... when its gone its gone.
    Maria.cscc

Answer by Maria.cscc at 1:44 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I want to add- It will only be a day or two of the child missing it, but itll blow over so much sooner than just trying to wean.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 2:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Ya my best advice is just go cold turkey. Thats what happen with my son, he had it one day, and the next day that was it. never had it again we never looked back either.
    Jasmine0530

Answer by Jasmine0530 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• With my kids I would cut a small hole in the tip, that way they cannot suck on it, they just hold it in thier mouth or chew on it, soon they realize that it's not what was comforting to them and they don't want it at all. It worked for me within a day or so. Good luck.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• A nurse told me an old wives tale that she used. She told me to go out and buy an almanac and when the sign was in the knees or below then just throw out the pacifier and any stashes that the child may have. She said it worked for her with her kids. Of course, her kids are grown now but I'm thinking about giving it a try. You may want to try it to. She said she didn't know what made them do it but it worked for her.
    Homemommy0503

Answer by Homemommy0503 at 2:54 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I agree with just going cold turkey. You'll have to deal with a little whining at first but after a few days your child won't even miss it.
    coppersoul

Answer by coppersoul at 9:11 PM on Jun. 7, 2009