My Stepdaughter is 4yrs old ...and she's hasn't been taught anything like her abc 123 colors or her middle name...I've been workin with her for about a year now... and nothing is seeming to stick...She's started headstart this past Jan. but it didn't seem to help her none either. Does anyone have any Games or suggestion...or know of any programs in and around the Boonville Missouri?

BaxtersBaby

Asked by BaxtersBaby at 1:41 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• try the leap frog dvds they have letter factory, word factory, number factory and many others they are great I have a cousin who just turned 4 in may and she now knows her abc the sounds each letter makes she can identify numbers and even kindergarden site words and I really think that it is all thanks to those dvds she has never been in preschool.
    VanessaCalhoun

Answer by VanessaCalhoun at 1:51 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Sounds like an auditory processing disorder. My oldest had this at 4 yrs of age and then later classified as mildly autistic. headstart isn't going to say anything so you would need to go to the school district and ask for an evaluation. Early intervention is key
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:38 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• If she has been working consistently and nothing is sticking then she might have a learning disability. Sheer repetition should help your child remember somethings, and since nothing sticks you need to get your child checked out. I know it's not the same thing, but my DS, who is 3, can not say the letters S or F. I have worked for a really long time, and he is not growing out of it. I know it is something he will have to have therapy for. But my point is, if you get her checked out now and she is diagnosed then she will have a better chance then when she is older. Good luck.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 6:08 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• As a preschool teacher myself, I have to ask how have these skills been introduced to her? Are you using flash cards, worksheets exclusively? Or have you been introducing the skills through play, music, and hands on activities? I would assume that the Head Start is using the second type of approach, but that is not always the case. Also, you say that she started preschool in January, so she didn't even have a full year of school. Keep the learning activities FUN, active, musical, hands on(touching objects to learn about them, exploring them) READ,READ,READ to her daily or more. When you work with her does she pay attention? What is the longest she will stay with you and participate attentively in the activities? Have you had her hearing checked ever? Could be she does not hear well. If you have access to the computer, try www.starfall.com, or www.literacycenter.or google,"hands on learning activities for 4 year olds
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 7:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• try making a game or activity out of it. With my son I do his abc's and I write and say something that kids say.Example:I bet u cant draw this letter like mine.Theyb will want to do it then.Numbers:my son likes to play cards so I get the deck out and each time he lays one down I have him try to count it.Try painting or usingv there favorite snack to count.
    krazymomma427

Answer by krazymomma427 at 12:11 PM on Jun. 16, 2009