autoerotic asphyxiation

If you found out your teen son was into that kind of thing, how would you handle it?

I dont know what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Wow, yes do approach this carefully, but with the message that you are worried when you know he is doing this because he could get hurt and you love him. Everyone wants to feel good, but it's the hurting part that is worrisome, to say the least. Counseling may be a good idea if he needs to talk to someone else.
    dflygirl7

Answer by dflygirl7 at 7:28 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• is he doing this when he Masterbates?
    Anonymous

• a good way to educate kids would be to approach asphyxiation in a nonsexual way: A lot of kids learn that it arouses them as a result of trying it because they've heard the practice can get them "high." So Clark says, "Teach them that they can die from that. You don't have to talk about the sexual end of it,"
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon.. bringing it up in a nonsexual way is a good way to start.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 2:03 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• yes, he does it when he maturbates- I caught him in his closet with a belt around his neck-
    I didnt know what to say....I walked out, even though I no I shouldnt have, but I couldnt watch him naked doing that, and I couldnt just stand there waiting for him to get dressed.
    Anonymous

• I would be scared as hell.

Sex is not something that I'm afraid to discuss at all, but as we just saw, it can be deadly! And at what cost?!

I would do what a PP said and just approach him and talk about the dangerous end of it, and not the sexual part. I don't care if he masturbates, but something like that is dangerous and quite an embarrassing way to be found.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 3:22 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I'd be showing him what happened to David Carradine...
    Anonymous

• First of all, I would have to know what it was first. I know this is what happened to David Carradine, but I wasnt familiar with the terms or what was involved. It sounds very scary.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:40 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I would tell him that the brother of the best man at our wedding is now dead because he did this. It can be deadly, I would take him to a child psychologist and look for one that deals with sex therapy as well. Tell him you now know someone who knows someone who died from this. Oprah did a show on this as well with parents who have lost kids...found hung in closet by belt etc. Beg him to stop and get him the help he needs.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:43 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I hope you don't mind me doing anonymously (I usually don't). I like being choked during sex. My husband doesn't understand completely but does it to please me. If I discovered one of my sons doing it solo I would be pissed. I would discuss with him how you HAVE to have a spotter. Things can turn deadly quickly. If that is what he is into fine, but have a spotter. And then I would probably follow up with him asking if he found a spotter yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Jun. 9, 2009