Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you need a lawyer for child support?

or does it get handled though a state department?
did you get info from the hospital, or did you have to reserch and find who to call?


Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • The local child support office will file for you. If you recieve medicaid and/or foodstamps there is no fee, if you do not then the fee is $25. It normally takes longer going through them then a private lawyer but it is much cheaper.

    Answer by ronjwake at 3:58 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

  • in my situation, my daughter was on medicaid and one day they informed me that in order to keep my medicaid i had to start receiving child support from the father. i had to go down to child support enforcement office and get everything set up and a year later i started receiving money. i think if you want to pursue it on your own you may need to get a lawyer and he will get it set up for you. or you can try calling the local child support enforcement and see if you can go there and do it.

    Answer by tnm786 at 2:57 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

  • Go to the probate courts and ask for a motion for child support. You will not need a lawyer. I my state yoy get 23% for one child, and 28% for two a week. If the father wants to fight it that is when a lawyer may be needed. But you are intitled to it, so you do get it. But you must push for it, unless your on welfare.. and the state would go after the father

    Answer by r00j04j08 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

  • ONE YEAR!! To start recieveing.. GEES! I got it started that day, plus the back from the day I filed for it. Go to probate court and they will tell you what to do.

    Answer by r00j04j08 at 3:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

  • Call your local Child Support Agency and they will help youout. If you are receiving any PA, they will set it up for you. That is how mine was set up and it only took a few months to start recieving it.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:25 PM on Jun. 7, 2009