how much impact do you think he has on my son?

me and my baby's father have been separated for probably 2 years now, and we're still good friends and everything but the thing is he's a complete loser. he's pretty much working just to pay rent and child support, he has friends over every day of the week at his apartment, has no manners, disrespectful, and lets my son do whatever he wants! my son goes to his house every weekend (we set it like that in the joint custody papers, i drop him off saturday morning and pick him up sunday night) and i was just thinking how much of an impact do you think he has on my son? meaning i don't want my son growing up like him, and im a little worried that him seeing my son every weekend will do damage in the future.

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 3:15 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• at least he has a job and pays the child support and rent, alot of men don't. as far as him having an impact on your son, yes he does anyone a child sees on a regular basis is going to have some sort of impact on him. just try to even it out, get another good male role model involved in your sons life (your dad, a brother etc...) and hope that seeing the difference between the two will help him out. as far as doing whatever he wants, thats something you have to talk to him about and explain why certain things just aren't acceptable, you have to accept that he is going to do things differently even in a relationship where the parents are together both parent differently and you just have to find common ground. allow some things but be strict with others (whatever it is you feel extremely strongly about try to get him to do those things as well, bedtime or whatever it is) and let him slide on the others.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:18 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• you have to get someone over to his house to investigate it to go any further. just because you feel he shouldn't be around your son doesn't mean it's actually true. it has to be proven that the father is incapable of raising a child before you can take the rights of the father away. and it depends on the age of your son as to the impact the father has on him.
    Anonymous