How do I start potty training my 3 year old?

.Ive been trying to potty training my son. but he acts like he doesnt care about it

shellie29

Asked by shellie29 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son is 13 months and already potty trained... I started looking for the signs of him going and when he did took him to the bathroom and sat him down.... when he did i gave him a treat or got him something he wanted at the store within reason. also when i was going i took him with me to see thats where you go and he picked up on it very fast...
    Anonymous

• If he's not caring, you usually aren't either. It's consistency that makes it happen. Even if he doesnt look like he has to go, put him on the toilet to just try. Don't give up, or skip an opportunity to put him on the pot. Praise is a plus.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 4:29 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• thank ya'll. its still very hard. i tryed this morning and nothing
    shellie29

Answer by shellie29 at 5:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• As a mother of a 3 year old who didn't want to potty train and recently got the hang of it, I can tell you it is not because you are inconsistent. You can try all the tricks in the world. You can give him all the treats in the store, you can put him on the potty every five minutes, but if your kid does not want to use the potty he's not going to do it. The worst thing you can do is to ask people who think that have all the answers and give you their perspectives. Congrats to all these people who force potty train their kids. Not all of us have that much time. I will tell you what I did. I let him run around naked. It was easier if he didn't have lots of clothes on. He also likes to pee outside. If you let him do that, eventually he will get it. And most of all have patience. When you think all is lost he will surprise you by what he can do. Good luck.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 6:30 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My DD was 2 when she potty trian. She is the type of child who freaks out when you spill something on the floor and hurrys to clean it she loves things being clean so all I did was tell her she was dirty for ttting in her diaper once she realized that was a dirty thing to do she just start going to the potty becasue she didn't want to be dirty. When I tried to get her to wear trainers at night she was like I don't need those I wont get my sheets wet and she went from diapers straight to panties. She is 5 now still is a lil crazy and wierd. But she like clean stuff so...idk.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 7:26 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Get rid of all diapers and pull-ups...then put him in underwear...you have to be ready too...there are a million potty training questions on here...browse through and find out what everyone is suggesting.
    hopinforanother

Answer by hopinforanother at 8:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2009