has you're child ever called another woman "mommy"?

my brother brought this up the other day because my EX's girlfriend picked my son up since he was working. he said "you just let some girl pick up your son? i wouldn't be surprised if he calls her mommy" i got really pissed! i went to high school with his girlfriend and we used to be really good friends so it's not like im giving my son to a stranger. but now i am kind of worried, what if he is calling her mommy? anyone ever go through something like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i doubt he calls her mommy just b/c he spends time with her. my daughter goes out with my family and a close friend of mine on a regular basis and she has never called anyone else mommy. if you are that concerned ask your son what he calls her, and go from there. but do you really think shes the kind of person that would ask your son to call her mommy? b/c really that is usually how a child ends up calling someone else mommy, unless he spends way more time w/her than he does w/u i wouldn't worry about it.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• it depends how old he is, little kids sometimes get confused and call the female roles in their lives mommy, but they always know who their mommy really is. i never experienced it but my neice calls everyone mommy while her real mommy is deployed to Iraq. it hurts to watch her do it but she's only 20 months so i know shes just confused.
    Anonymous

• I remember reading a parenting article years ago that said when a child calls a caregiver "mommy" consider it a good thing...it means the child is comfortable with that person and feels they are someone they can trust just like their mom. Hope this helps!
    Anonymous

• yes some young kids call other women in there life mommy or mom its normal my brother kids called my mom there grandmother mom and there mom mommy its fine its just a role they know ur there mommy
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 3:48 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

enaNianza

• It happens. Kids frequently end up calling a female that they see a lot "mommy". That can be grandma, an aunt, a daycare worker, or a step-mom figure. But kids also learn just who "MOMMY" is, no matter what they call someone else. This is especially hard as kids start to learn roles and to tell men from women. My daughter is nearly 3 and she still think every woman she sees is a mommy and every man is a daddy. She knows now that they are not HER mommy and daddy though.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I agree, it is becoming common mostly when the child is around another female a lot. I know a little girl who calls her mother "mommy" and her grandmother "mom" since her grandmother watches her all the time.
    lilkgfan

Answer by lilkgfan at 4:45 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• ive went thru something simaler.you need to set bounderes NOW.thats not aceptable!!!!
    roxieandlily

Answer by roxieandlily at 9:56 AM on Jun. 10, 2009