Daycare?

So my son is 5 1/2 months old, and eventhough i HATE the idea might have to put my lil man in daycare...possibly for only a few weeks...but my question is, what do i need to look for when i go check these places out, what are some signs that the place is awful besides the multiple screaming dirty faced dirty diaperd children. what do i look for if thats not there...like maybe how do i see what goes on when mommys are gone?! and also how much should i be looking to pay for daycare

sweetstkissez22

Asked by sweetstkissez22 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• a place that allows parents to come in any time of the day (this way you know they are always expecting parents) i went to a place once and was told parents were only allowed at certain times (between 6 and 8 a.m. and 4 and 6 p.m.) no way was i taking my kid somewhere that i couldn't walk in any time i wanted (i know they couldn't have really kept me out but that wasn't teh point the point was they don't want parents there that made me uncomfy)
    most daycares have a page they fill out for each child throughout the day stating what they ate, when, and how often diapers where changed. you also want to check the ratio of adults to children (each state has diff requirements check and see what yours are and go from there). for me when i put my dd in daycare for a few months, i walked into a bunch in the middle of the day right before or after naptime (i figured these were probably the most hectic), i talked to the director then CON
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:42 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• i'd look for a place where everyone is required to be cpr/first aid certified, and a place with cameras in every room,& somewhere very clean
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:36 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• one good way is to NOT make an appt and just walk in unexpectedly in the afternoon when things are at the craziest. if they don't know you're coming they can't hide anything, if there is anything to hide. really good daycares have junk EVERYWHERE lol. like cutouts, pictures, projects, paintings, etc in all the rooms to where it actually gives you a headache. that means the children are involved. watch the teachers too, you can tell by their actions if they hate their jobs or not. and really good daycares have a keypad to even get in the door, although there are good daycares without them. GL!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• CONT asked for a tour, i was impressed with the place i took her and their attitude towards the children. also in VA you can do a search online for the daycares health inspection results and it will give any violations etc for the past few years, and it lists complaints i don't know if each state does that but you can see if your state has something like that. some daycares also have webcams so that you can view throughout the day. mine also had a keypad on the door you had to know the code or be let in by a daycare worker if you didnt. and you also want to make sure that if your child will be picked up by others that they check id and have a list of ok people.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:45 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• There are some daycares that have cameras and you can get on the internet and see what your child is doing!!! And I dont trust any in home daycares!! And yeah I wouldent make a appt I would just walk in and take a tour of the place and ask lots of questions like what will my baby be doing all day? what knd of activities do you do to help my child learn? What time is my child feed? How long do you nap do you let them take? Always make sure that they are registered with the state! Your looking at about 130.00 to 150.00 a week for child care!!! If you get a bad feeling at all about a daycare dont put your child there!! O and if you find a daycare dont be afraid to call every hour if you want to to check on him!! I did with all of my kids!!!
    Anonymous

• I worked in a daycare for 6 years. I was a very involved preschool teacher. I had to put my daughter in daycare for 4 weeks until I went on summer break from work. So I put her in the same daycare that I worked at. It is not the fanciest of places but the people who work there are good people. This is what I think is important...A teacher that is very hands on. One that is on the floor playing with the babies. One that does not keep them in a swing all day long. A director that is there and willing and ready to hop into a room if extra help is needed. One where they check IDs before you are even allowed all the way through the front door. One that followed my childs schedule such as naps and feedings. things like that. Where I live, you are look at 155-200 dollars a week for infant care. Dont just look at how nice the daycare is, some of the really nice ones are not always the best ones.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 5:51 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• continued. Like I said, the one I worked at was not one of the really nice big corporation ones. It was just a loving place that was in an old house with terrific people. I would still be working there if I got paid what I get paid now. It was one of the best jobs that I ever had. Spend an afternoon there if you want and see how the people interact with the kiddos.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 5:54 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Thanks ladies...that will def. help me on my oh so sad quest tomorrow...i hate doing this...its the last place i wanted him to be before he could talk...i atleast wanted him to be able to tell me something was wrong!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 7:18 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• It is extremely hard to put little ones in daycare for the first time! I have had many bad experiences with taking my chidren to daycare. However, most of those were at home daycares. 11 months ago my children got into a center-based daycare. The daycare also offers pre-school for 3 years and older. It is also a secured daycare and you need ID's and passwords to enter into the center. This is extremely expensive, but I know my children are well taken care of. I would look for somewhere that has more than one workers at a time. If there isnt you dont know what goes on behind closed doors, even if you trust the individual, unless your children are able to tell you. And like me, mine are little and cant tell me what goes on all day(7 months, 2 years old). My daughter who just turned 4 is now able to tell me how her day went and what they did all day. If only they could tell us sooner!
    crazy_n_fun_mom

Answer by crazy_n_fun_mom at 7:25 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I would try to find a small private in home daycare. They are more willing to work around you... especially if you think it might be short term. And there is less spread of germs. There are plenty of stay at home moms that are willing to watch another child... usually for less than a center.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2009