my oldest daughter

My oldest daughter lives with her grandma . . My daughter doesn't like to wear thrift store clothes but she doesn't want her grandmas feelings ... How can I give my daughter advice with out hurting her grandmas feelings

fancy252

Asked by fancy252 at 3:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Can she mix the thrift store pieces with new items? My daughter loves to do that--she will mix something from Wal Mart with something from a nicer store & create a custom look. Maybe there is a different thrift store in the area that they could check out? It might have a different selection & have some trendier items. Kudos to your daughter for being so considerate of her grandma.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• She can find vintage pieces or some really cute things. So what, she won't look like everyone else. It's not the end of the world and she can find things to mix and match. Also she can get NEW clothes sometimes for thrift store prices if she can find a really good sale or clearance aisle. It sucks not being able to wear TRENDY clothes but if she can figure out a style she likes, she can create it through different pieces she finds. She can look styles, ect up online. That's just my $.02.
    Anonymous

• Why don't you teach her that if she wants a certain type of clothing she should work for it? I assume the thrift store is what Grandma can afford. Tell your daughter that she can do summer work, like mowing lawns, selling cookies/lemonade, whatever she can think of to make the $ she needs. Otherwise, let her know that she should be thankful for what grandma provides and not whine about it.
    Anonymous

• Do you have the ability to buy her some clothes? I dont know your circumstances, but maybe you could help her too. You can find some good stuff at the thrift store too and no one will know. I have lots of clothes that I have set aside to either give away or sell. They are size 0 and 1's. My dd is now a 3. I would love to have someone as courteous and sensitive as your dd to give them to. She sounds like a really good kid.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:44 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I gave all my clothes that I grew out of and she loves them I tell her that always be glad what u get even though its not what u want always be greatful ..... I think its just that she feels weird wearing clothes like that me I don't mind I tell her to . I told her also as long as u get clothes to be put on ur back u should be happy
    fancy252

Answer by fancy252 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2009