do you think that when someone else watches your child they need to respect rules that you have in place?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• No question, 100 percent.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:06 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• absolutely. i understand if certain rules are looked over and not as strictly enforced as i would, but the biggies (manners and saftey) are a must be followed in order for someone else to watch my child. then again no one watches my child that doesn't have the same opinions on raising children (if not the exact same close enough) as me so i know the rules will be followed and the ones that aren't are probably the same rules i slack on sometimes.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:12 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• If I hire something to watch my children in my home, then yes. I do understand that there will probably be more flexibility for an occasional babysitter than for a regular sitter. For example, if I hire a teenage sitter for a Friday evening, I will order pizza for everyone but if I had someone babysit every day, I wouldn't order pizza every day. BUT. I do think if you send your children to daycare, you have to somewhat conform to their rules. That is why it is so important to find a daycare that is in line with your personal & parenting beliefs.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Abso-positively!
    rune2319

Answer by rune2319 at 5:12 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Hmmm....yes and no. If I bring my child to a day center and that center has different rules and beliefs than I do then no I do not expect it to be exactly the same. I once had decided to enroll my child in a very evangelical day program. I am not evangelical but they had one of the best centers in our area for child development. So I could live with a few Jesus Loves Me songs and the praise Jesus at every turn. Ultimately I did not send him there. My child's nanny does not have the same POV on everything I do. I'm okay with that. I trust her and she loves my child. The only rules are on safety and no spanking.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 5:16 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Yes! When any one watches my children, they are to follow my rules. I have the rules for a reason.
    lighthouse98

Answer by lighthouse98 at 7:14 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My daughter has had her grandma lilly and grandma nancy. They both respected our rules
    marievegan

Answer by marievegan at 7:15 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Yes even if it's a CP vs an NCP, they are in place because the CP believes that is what is best for their children and as such should be respected and observed as it will make it easier on the child to have one universal set of rules vs different rules for every place they go.
    Anonymous

• In most cases, yes. If it is safety rules, then yes 100%. However, if you bring your child to a daycare center or in-home daycare then they will have their own rules for your child while they are there... and you can't really 'overrule' those during that time. However, if you have someone watching your child in your home, or just an occasional babysitter, then yes they should definitely follow your rules.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 10:11 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• yes and no. If I am paying someone to watch my children on a Friday night, I expect certain things to be enforced, or done a certain way (bed time or no soda type stuff....). BUT if a family member is watching my son, then I trust their judgement and rules go out the window. Why should I keep them from spoiling him on the rare occasion he gets one on one time? Grandma's and Aunts are not mom for a reason! Lifes short. Let them have fun. If I am around, it is my rules.
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 10:15 PM on Jun. 7, 2009