How can I casually drop hints that I want to get married without freaking him out?

I would like to get married, at some point but at least get the engagement taken care of.
We've been together for 4 years now, with a 2 yr old daughter.
Do you think it's okay to start suggesting marriage or is it too soon to mention anything still?
I'm 26 and wanting to be married while I have the body haha
How would I goabout casually mentioning it to him without sounding demanding?
We live common-law and have all of our accounts and bills in both our names, so we pretty much are married, but I just want the paper and wedding to prove it.
Little girls dream right?
=)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Relationships

• Seriously? I think that marriage should have come up about two years or so ago. You got this all backwards. Too soon? Are you kidding me? You had his child. He should have seen fit enough to marry you two or even three years ago. Give him an ultimatum. If you want something, get it. Don't wait and think you don't deserve it. This is what is wrong with girls these days. Lay down the law. You have rights too, remember?!
    Anonymous

• Don't pussy foot around! Why hint!? You are a grown woman, be assertive, sit down and have a talk with him....my husband didn't propose to me. We discussed it and agreed to get married. He wanted to marry me but he thought I didn't want to be married so he never brought it up. It wasn't any less meaningful because we proposed to eachother. 4 years and a child, too soon?! Are you serious?
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 4:22 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• If you wanted to be taken seriously it should have been discussed a long time ago. I doubt he'll even consider it since like you said it's everything but the paper. I'm sure he's happy with the way it is. However, you still can discuss it and like the others said, don't be waiting. You are not getting younger as the years go by. Just tell him you want to get married and ask him when he would like to do it. I never waited to be asked. Men don't want to get married. We have to tell them to do it in many cases! Tell him you want to be married before the end of the year (or whatever) and ask what is best for him summer, fall or winter? Don't have "NO" as an option. His options are Summer, Fall or Winter. Even if he tries to put it off start buying wedding magazines and picking your dress, etc Make your plans. Show him you mean business. Ignore him if he makes excuses, just keep on planning.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Don't drop hints. Have a direct converstation with him about what he wants.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 4:34 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• "Why buy the cow when you're getting the milk for free"? Doesn't sound like you're in much of a position to demand anything, you've already given him everything "for free", to the point of having a baby with him and wasn't worried about marriage then, why now? Just tell him you think it's time you guys quit playing house, and get married for real. Don't waste money on a lavish event, kinda late for that now, just make it legal & get it over with.

Anonymous

• We also sat and discussed it and decided we wanted to get engaged...then I promptly told him I wanted a sweet proposal too...lol
    Anonymous

• I told my husband that too.I told him we have three kids one of them is not his it is from my ex husband,anaways I told him if he does not want to get married then to get out.We are married now.
    monica-alvarez

Answer by monica-alvarez at 6:15 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• well you kind of have put the cart before the horse havent you?
    I would ask about weekend plans and when he says gee I dont know, take him to the courthouse for a marriage license and wedding as soon as legally possible(usually 2-3 day waiting period for blood work)...dont give him a chance to think about it...either that or kick him out and get child support....playtime is over!
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 9:33 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Thanks ladies!
    I appreciate it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Jun. 8, 2009