Do you think it is right for bill collectors to freeze bank accounts and take the money that is owed???

Credit card company and bill collectors have found an illegal lope hole in the new credit card law that allows them to get lawyers to freeze bank funds pertaining to people who gets disability, ssi, or any other kind of disability check through direct deposit. Many time they leave almost nothing for these people to live off of. Do you think this is right?????

MOR51

Asked by MOR51 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It's unfortunate but it's also your responsibility to pay or bills to to at least try to make arrangements.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 4:27 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• If the money is owed then why shouldn't the company be able to collect it? If the bill was paid in the first place they would not freeze the account. I don't feel sorry for someone that doesn't pay their bills.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 4:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• they've been doing this for years not just recently. do i think its right, no i think that if this is done it should not be done all at once, when you only have $400 in the bank and you owe someone $400 and they take that whole amount how are you supposed to pay your other bills and live off of nothing until you get money again? i found out i had a lien on my account once for over $2k from an apartment complex claiming i didn't pay them, it took 6 months to get it off my credit report and get my money back after proving i had paid them and the money that was going to be used to move (husband is navy had to move didn't have a choice) got taken from us and we had to borrow money to move.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• it says in section 502 of the law code for credit payments and due minimum payments. This enacts a safety measure for the protection of the consumer/payor to simply make minimum monthly payments and it's a surety for their rights. This section 502 or 503 says that the consumer does not even have to be considered payment upon if taken to court and that appearance or the nonappearance to court doesn't justify for accusing that persons said account. Based upon the paying amount and the amount able to be paid legally, it's not anything to the credit card companies to not get that payment. It could be very high levels and high interest rates but the rights are still in the creed of the credit collections laws. The payor has the right to only make the minimum monthly payment and not get any possessions taken, ANY!
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 4:33 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I'd like a link to this, please.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:42 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Yes. I'm self-employed.  If someone signed a contract agreeing to pay me for services and then didn't pay, I would file for a lien.  So what if it cleans out their bank account?  They are hurting me and my family financially by not paying.  By not paying me, they have deprived me of needed income.  

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:45 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• No, not at all. These bills aren't getting paid because these people don't have enough money to pay for them. I know, because I am one of the many who defaulted on credit cards. They are SUPPOSED to have to leave you enough to live on, but sometimes they don't. We got a letter the other day that said the bank is getting ready to take all of my husband's pay and leave him $200 a week to live on. That's not even enough money to pay our necessities (electric, water, rent which is a very low $300, and gas to get to work).
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 4:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I think they should have to take you to court and have a judge issue repayment however they see fit depending on your finances. .
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:06 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• No I do not. The reason being that many people are victims of identity fraud. And these collection agencies know it - they do not care if you are really the person who owes or not. Your information matches their information that they paid the company to own your debt. That is how it works. They buy your debt and then come after you. I have no problem on collecting and negotiating how you pay them back. I have a huge problem with them freezing your accounts and assets. Particuarly when it may be a criminal who used your personal information. That happens all the time. It is VERY difficult to get that off your record and their is no cooperation by collectors to assist victims. Only pay up and let it be done with, stop bitching about being a victim and give me my money. I bought "your problem" and my now my only problem is to get your money. So to answer the question: big fat Hell no.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 5:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Collection agencies have always been able to TAKE money out of your account . I learned that working in billing. If someone gives a creditor a CHECK they have access to your bank account.
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 5:17 PM on Jun. 7, 2009