Caught several teens smoking marijuana in my house...what to do?

My 16 year old son & three friends were smoking in his bedroom. I told them to give me their mom's phone numbers or I'd call the police on them....and they just walked out the door. What should I do? I'm at the end of my rope & I've warned them all on more than once occasion!

Silver-Lining

Asked by Silver-Lining at 5:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• If your up to putting charges on your own child. DO IT! i bet they wouldnt ever do it again. but you might end up feeling more guilty than its worth...hmmm...
    Anonymous

• Your son needs to give up their names so you can call the parents. If not, then call the cops. I always feel like kind of a hypocrite on this subject though because of how I was at that age (wouldn't do that now). Your house, your rules. My parents have gone through this and through this with my brother and I have to tell you, I wish they would just call the cops on his ass. I know that sounds harsh, but he just keeps crossing boundary after boundary and it just gets worse and worse.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 5:19 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Don't warn. Call the cops. It's as simple as that. Call the cops before you, yourself bust them. It's the only way it's going to work sweet heart!
    Anonymous

• Um nothing. weed is a natural plant and it does no harm on someones body. You all need to get a damn life. I swear.
    Anonymous

• I would do nothing just be glad they are home and not somewhere else.  It does no harm and it has many uses for medical purposes.  Its legal in CA for medical.  And a bill is on the table to make it legal.  If we legalize it we could erase the nationl debt with the taxes.

Anonymous

• So sorry you are going through this. I would have done the same thing probably. I would put my child on random testing and get him in a clinic for rehab. I would pray daily. Oh and those kids are no longer welcomed. I've also have threatened to move from the city of I needed too.

Good Luck.
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry people under 18 are not mature enough to decide to fry their brains. It killed my short term memory but I decided it as an adult not a teenager. Call the cops. File unrulely child.
    Anonymous

• Doing nothing makes the parent complicit in at least one crime. That’s was an incredibly ignorant response.
    Rico__

Answer by Rico__ at 11:58 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• You did the right thing. Each of their parents can decide how they want to deal with the situation. You can also make it clear to them that there will be no marijuana in your house ever. I would up the supervision while they are in your house, make them too uncomfortable to try it again.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 12:26 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Obviously there are answers here that are NOT from mothers with teenagers. First of all, even if you dont deal with the friends, you still have a son that broke the rules in your home. That needs to be dealt with. New rules would be..those three friends are not allowed in this house...ever again. He would not be allowed to hang out with them either. I would also let him know that his room will be searched and if he is hiding pot in there he needs to tell you now. Its not just about the pot, this is about him having no respect for you and allowing his friends to dishonor your home and rules. What if you get busted for having it in your home? I would deal with your son and if you dont ever get the information on the other parents, then whatever, but my son would be my primary concern. If my children ever get caught disrespecting another moms home and rules, I will beat the hell of them myself. That my biggest no 1 rule.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:38 AM on Jun. 8, 2009