Breastfeeding and birth control

I'm Catholic so my hubby and I don't believe in using bc. We use natural family planning. But now that I'm breastfeeding exclusively and not having a period I'm not sure how to do this. Does anyone know anything about natural family planning while breastfeeding?
Oh and please no judgement on the no BC thing. I don't judge others that use it...it just is our PERSONAL choice not to. SO if you want to reply just to argue that, don't waste your time! Thanks ladies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you are exclusively breastfeeding on demand (not your time schedule), not giving a binkie or other fake nipple, cosleeping and getting lots of skin to skin contact you should be good to go until about 6 months and then you can start to worry. Sometimes that is not the case though so if you truly do not want another one then you need to be very careful and rethink the BC issue. I personally did not get my cycle back until about 15 months with both children and was pregnant at 17 months with #2. I use an IUD now since we are not sure if we are "done", but we are sure we want to wait a few more years. I would recommend temping around 4 months though to see if you are ovulating because you will most likely ovulate 2 weeks BEFORE your first period and you could get pregnant then. Your cycles will likely be erratic when they do return so temping and watching mucous and cervical position will be needed to avoid pregnancy.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:09 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• How old is the baby? Its unlikely for you to get pregnant while exclusively BF. I don't really know what natural planning is..is it rhythm?

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 5:26 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• The baby is 12 weeks. Natural family planning is tracking your fertile days and abstaining from sex that week.
    Anonymous

• And not to judge...but what do Catholics believe in regards to BC? Is it absolutely none?

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 5:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• oh hun BE CAREFUL, so many people fall into that no period no more babys deal thats not true..it helps..but its WAY less effective than actualy BC...so ur natural fam. planning is off...on top of that after a baby your cycle doesnt go back to normal..i dont know what to tell you other than be EXTRA careful...your more fertile, less regular...GOOD LUCK!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 5:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I know a lot of people are going to say BF doesn't prevent pregnancy...but it is not likely if your exclusive BF and its only been 12 weeks. Talk to your ob. If you definitely don't want to get pregnant than you know the way to be sure.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 5:33 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I would have to look it up, but there are a lot of "rules" about bf being used a bc. Everything goes out the window at six months, regardless of solids. So, from what I know, it is extremely unlikely to get pregnant if you allow the baby to nurse on demand, the baby is still night nursing, and the baby is actually nursing (no pumping), and there are absolutely no solids. I'd have to look this up, but I believe there was recently an article about it in Mothering magazine. Most people aren't nursing on demand, through the night, etc, so yeah, they get pregnant. And there's always a chance no matte what.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 5:42 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I may be wrong, but I think you can still chart your temps while nursing. When you catch a dip then rise you may be ovulating. Better safe than sorry. I use NFP too.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:45 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=275820
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:46 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Check out the info on breastfeeding and fertility at Natural Child Spacing and Breastfeeding

and The Lactational Amenorrhea Method (LAM): Another Choice for Mothers

We used this form of bc successfully!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:25 PM on Jun. 7, 2009