how many calories get burned when breastfeeding?

just curious, never breast fed my two other children and just had a baby monday and have been breast feeding all week, someone told me yesterday that it helps you get back to pre prego weight faster and burns calories

Asked by jasabella at 5:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ive heard on avg 300 per meal..its really HIGH!!

• about 300-500 cal a day

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 5:34 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• It does help, and is awesome!

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:42 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Its about 500 a DAY not each meal and it does help ur uterus shrink back a lot faster.

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• The average is 500 calories per day

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:21 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• between 300-500 a day and as long as you are not taking in those extra calories and are not having supply issues because of that then you are going to lose those extra pounds faster. At 6 months PP with my first I was 20 lbs lighter then before I got pregnant. With second I was 10 lbs lighter at 6 months PP then before I got pregnant. I could still stand to lose 10-20 though.

• It helps drop a lot of weight quickly, and helps the uterus shrink back down faster (b/c of the hormones released), but I've found that I plateau after a few months and hang on to a few lbs until I wean. It's worth keeping up the breastfeeding regardless of what it does for weight, though! Good luck!

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:30 PM on Jun. 7, 2009