how many calories get burned when breastfeeding?

just curious, never breast fed my two other children and just had a baby monday and have been breast feeding all week, someone told me yesterday that it helps you get back to pre prego weight faster and burns calories

jasabella

Asked by jasabella at 5:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ive heard on avg 300 per meal..its really HIGH!!
    Anonymous

• about 300-500 cal a day
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 5:34 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• It does help, and is awesome!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:42 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Its about 500 a DAY not each meal and it does help ur uterus shrink back a lot faster.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• The average is 500 calories per day
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:21 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• between 300-500 a day and as long as you are not taking in those extra calories and are not having supply issues because of that then you are going to lose those extra pounds faster. At 6 months PP with my first I was 20 lbs lighter then before I got pregnant. With second I was 10 lbs lighter at 6 months PP then before I got pregnant. I could still stand to lose 10-20 though.
    Anonymous

• It helps drop a lot of weight quickly, and helps the uterus shrink back down faster (b/c of the hormones released), but I've found that I plateau after a few months and hang on to a few lbs until I wean. It's worth keeping up the breastfeeding regardless of what it does for weight, though! Good luck!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:30 PM on Jun. 7, 2009