how do you know when your contractions are real

I've been having Braxton Hicks Contractions for two week now and I'm ready for these babies to come out I've been have a few contractions earlyer and they've been off and on all day so how can I tell them apart? and If I can should I wait utill my water breaks?

mrs.pitmen

Asked by mrs.pitmen at 5:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• if they hurt there real! LOL
    you cant mistake a real contraction.
    Mesure the time it takes from the end of one to the start of the next, if there is a pattern or there closer and closer apart time to go in!
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 5:57 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• If they are coming regularly. For example and then slowly moving closer together than they are probably real labor.

They do not necessarily have to hurt. Many women don't start to feel really "painful" or "strong" contractions until they are past the early part of labor (5+ cm).

It's best to stay home until the contractions are 4 minutes apart, last 1 minute and are 1 minute long. If you water breaks you can still say at home if your in the early stages of labor but be sure not to insert anything into your vagina. If you feel your more progressed when you water breaks than it's probably time to head to the hospital. If you get there and are still in early labor you can decline admission if you want and go back home or go out to eat or just walk around the hospital.

Going to the hospital to early can bring a lot of unnecessary medical interventions and discomfort.
    Anonymous

• My post above should say "for example 7 minutes apart or 5 minutes apart and then slowly coming closer and closer together"

Some of the words were cut off for some reason. SORRY! :)
    Anonymous

• write down the time that each contraction starts.
    they're measured from the start of one to the start of the next.
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 8:38 PM on Jun. 7, 2009