How can I get him to stop using his sippy cup at bedtime?

My son is 18 months old and his comfort object is his sippy cup. I'm fixing to start potty training since we are TTC baby #2. How can I get him to stop needing his cup at nap time and bedtime. He goes to sleep in the car without it, but I don't want to have to take him for a ride to get him to sleep. Any ideas would be great! Thanks!

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 6:14 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let me know when someone gives you a useful answer..because I don't have one. My daughter is addicted to hers as well. It's tough! I've tried giving her just water in there, but she is inconsolable without milk. I do always make sure she doesn't fall asleep with it in her mouth (because it can harm their teeth.) But, yeah...good question.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 6:21 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Glad I'm not alone in this! lol! =) I'll let you know if I get some good advice.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 6:23 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• my son does that same exact thing, after a while i just started to introduce him to water and gave him water at night so it wont be a big deal.
    Anonymous

• stop giving it to him. he will cry and fuss , may take a night or two to for him to get used to it . Dont give in and give it back. If you need a substitute give him an special toy to love on in its place. you might also give him a drink of water out of a cup/glass part of your bed time routine.explain to him that he doesn't need the sippy cup and it is time for it to go.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 6:35 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Give it to him with only water in it.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:37 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Well...i could tell you that i could help you but i proabally cant. When i took my son off the bottle at 13 months, i started puting him to bed with his cup as well. Now, it has turned into a comfort thing..as a blanket would to another boy...he uses his cup. He ususally doesnt even drink it...he just clings to it for dear life! My son is 16 months. I would just sit him down beside his bed, and tell him that he gets one drink before bed. and thats it. When he starts to cry for it, you just have to stay dtrong. I still havent done it with my son yet...but he is going through a sleeping phase to where he wont sleep by himself, so i am having o help him with that. So i am waiting to conquer the sippy cup obstical yet
    BrittanyShay

Answer by BrittanyShay at 6:39 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Make sure he has a drink before bedtime and then just tell him NO. He will cry and scream the first few times but you gotta do what you gotta do.
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 6:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Just my opinion, but you may be jumping into potty training too young anyway. Good luck.

But the sippy cup at night problem is one that is quickest solved by a cold-turkey kind of thing.

If you can't stand this idea, give him watered down milk. Water it down a bit more every two nights or so and also give him LESS in the cup. Over a two week period, pare it down a bit at a time to a tablespoon of water a night in his cup. Eventually, the cup will be empty when he takes it to bed and he will be okay with that. Let him sleep with the empty cup until he decides it's not anything he wants anymore.

Congrats on the new little one, by the way.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• stop giving it to them...they will cry, but it's not the end of the world if they do...after a few tough nights they will be fine and be able to fall asleep without it.
    Anonymous

• 1) your son is too young to potty train...just because you are expecting is no need to rush him into it
    2) cold turkey. let him cio if he cries for the cup. don't give in
    Anonymous