Attracting different birds?

I have a birdfeeder and it seems that it only attracts chickadees. I don't mind chickadees, they're great, but I would love to have other birds as well. We have a rhododendron bush near the feeder, and the chickadees hang out there all the time - so I knew that they'd be one of the more frequent birds we saw. But we thought at some point, we'd get another type of bird as well. Any thoughts?

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 6:15 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Try Finch food. Yellow finches will come for that, they are so pretty. Don't forget the ground feeders too. Cardinals will come for sunflower seeds.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:24 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• i loove hummingbirds..we have had them frequent our garden when we added honeysuckles.the butterflies came more often then too. its a win win..hummingbirds and the smell of honeysuckles is amazing:)
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 8:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• if you get a humming bird feeder you may get them.
    also some birds such as robins like (believe it or not) cat food. you can place some out.
    Now I (what I call it) feed the animals and have once certain spot that the food is placed.
    I put out bread and seed... I have blue jays, robins, finches, doves, have had humming birds, and I have another bird that I can't think of it's name off hand.... they come around and enjoy what we put out for them...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:37 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• make a simple bird feeder, even the kids can help. Take a pine cone, fill it with peanut butter and roll in bird seed. Hang it by a ribbon. The birds love it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:07 AM on Jun. 8, 2009