converting at a funeral? Ever heard of it?

Recently I was at a funeral. The deceased married a Catholic but never converted. I would say 90% of the of people were Catholic and there was a protestant pastor. At the end he told us he would pray for our conversion. Has anyone heard of this before? The immediate family, children, spouse MIL ect. are all Catholic. Really is a funeral a place to do this? If it was your funeral would you want that last effort made to convert people to your beliefs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i'm not catholic, but i do find this kind of actions at funerals inappropriate and uninviting. so what if the entire congregation of weepers is xtian/catholic/whatever, but perhaps a few aren't...i've been to those kinds of services, and as a xtian, i find it disturbing, uncaring, and uncalled for to have any kind of conversion/altar call (please!!) for the audience. let's just say you are the one, like the OP, who is targeted as needing to convert/be 'saved'/etc....and you are in mourning for the dead..i'm not convinced you will be willing to receive the officiant's offer at this time. people go through several phases of mourning when they've 'lost' a loved one; they 'sinner' is not likely to be in the 'i want to change my life' stage during a funeral service. save it for a private counseling moment, but please just officiate the 'goodbyes'/'celebration of life' at the service, dude!
    ..JMO.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• and I should add even though the person never converted she went to Catholic churches all the time and requested a rosary be placed in the casket.
    Anonymous

• Well I made the funeral arrangements for my dad years ago and I had a Christian pastor do the main service for my dad. He didn't do an alter call but did ask those that did not know the Lord to bow their heads and pray. Sorta like a alter call i guess. My dad was a non practicing catholic but did accept the Lord when I took him to a Calvary Chapel spanish service church. It was awesome. He started reading the bible and I can still remember seeing him outside sitting on the bench reading. :) God is faithful and so merciful. He answered my prayer and I know my dad's in heaven now.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 6:21 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• So whats the problem? i don't see any problem with what your saying/asking.
    Anonymous

• If it was the wish of the deceased I think it's fine, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. If it were my family I'd be upset.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 6:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• There are a lot of denominations that use funerals as opportunities to talk about conversion and the consequences if you don't. Even when I was a Christian, it bothered me when the fact that the deceased was probably going to Hell was used as a scare tactic to convince the unsaved to convert... and yes, that's happened a few times. So just mentioning conversion isn't necessarily as bad, but still not something I agree with. I find it distasteful, personally, and I think it is REALLY important to know if the person doing the funeral service is of this mindset. If I was at the funeral for one of my close family and the minister said something like this, it would be highly inappropriate and I'd probably say so right then. (For my family, it would be wrong. Other families may think that this is an important or necessary part of a funeral service, and I of course wouldn't say anything under those circumstances!)
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:26 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• are you talking to me anon :21? I was just asking if anyone heard of this. I didn't say there was anything wrong. It also isn't the first time I heard it happen which is why I asked. Personally, I would not want a conversion request at my funeral but that is just me.
    Anonymous

• While I do think it is inappropriate given the circumstances I wouldn't be too worry if it were me.  I simply wouldn't pray...people can pray from all the conversion they want, if others are strong in their faith prayers from strangers are not going to change that.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 6:29 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Oh, my mom was a catholic too, but not too spiritual. I often ministered to her. She once went with me to a spanish women's retreat and when they did alter calls she went up there every single time. It saddened me, because I wish she had that assurance of her salvation after going up there once. After she passed I arranged a catholic service for her. But I did have my beautiful selected christian music playing during the viewing for all my non practicing relatives to hear. I know too she's in heaven and just wanted to let everyone know of our joy of "Absent in the body is to be present with the Lord"
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 6:30 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• It depends on what the person wants. My hubby does funerals all the time. If the family asks him to, he will share the gospel and give people an opportunity to recieve the Lord or recomitt. I think it is entirely appropriate (if it is requested) because a funeral is a time to ponder existence and consider you own mortality. I personally want that at my funeral. I would love to see someone come up to me in heaven and say that they accepted the Lord at my funeral. Spiritual life can come from death. It will be my last opportunity to point people to the Lord.

I wonder though, in the circumstance that you mentioned what was going on. Someone must have requested it. If you have an evangelical pastor presiding over a catholic funeral, you aren't having a catholic funeral and you will get an evangelical service. Did a family member offer up their pastor?
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2009