Would you let you son be baptized if you didn't believe in it?

My DH wants my 13 month old to be baptized. I don't really have a problem with it but to me it has no meaning.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that he should. It washes him clean we are all born into sin...
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 6:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• How important is it to your DH? If it is something that is very important to him, then I think that you should do it.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 6:33 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• NO! I would never alow someone to baptise my kids! I don't feel it is anyones choice by theirs to dedicate them in to any religion! I would be very aposed and most likely end the relationship if the issue was pushed! Religion is a path that only the walker can find there is no map and no one has the right to direct you if you don't ask for directions!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:33 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I think it's meaningful and important to him. This is were conflicts begin when two people get married and aren't of the same faith. There is division here cause of this. What is your spiritual belief? I would not stop it. God is going to bless him for being faithful and offering your son as a living sacrifice to the Lord. God gives us children and we give them back to Him for His purpose.

Good luck.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 6:34 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• It's funny you should ask this.

When my son was around a year or less, my MIL wanted to know when we were going to get him baptized. I told her I didn't believe in infant/child baptismal and thought that baptism was a choice made by an individual who was declaring their faith. A child simply can't do that so young.

But, I understand some religions believe all babies need to be baptized (dedicated) to God/Christ as protection. If you don't have a problem with it, make your DH happy by letting him get his son baptized. It's for your hubby's peace of mind more than anything!
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:35 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• If you dont care and your DH does then I see no reason to allow it. If you do care then there might be an issue.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't do it but that is me.  I would wait until the child can choose for him or her self.

My sister is considering doing it though and I am fully supporting her no matter which she decides.  She is Pagan, her husband is Baptist (I think) and she is considering getting her son Baptized because it is important to the rest of his family.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 6:36 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I don't believe in it either, but if you have no religious objection, then it won't hurt to respect your husband (and presumably his family's, as well) wishes in this. Our firstborn was baptized, even though neither of us have any belief that it is necessary or beneficial, and it did no harm to anyone and made his Roman Catholic family heave a sigh of relief. The minister who did it was Protestant who didn't believe in the necessity of infant baptism either, and he didn'tt say anything that we objected to - and neither of her godparents is Christian. If I were to do a dedication for my other three kids, I'd choose to do something more personally meaningful (a more UU-flavor ceremony that acknowledges the child's autonomy and individual spiritual path and our role in that) but I had no regrets about our Dd's ceremony. Being forced to do a full on Catholic baptism might have rubbed me the wrong way, but I think it would be fine.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:37 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• It's really not binding, spiritually or in any other way. IMO.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:38 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• If you don't have a problem with it, why don't you let your dh have what would make him happy? Just wondering?

BTW, infant baptism is something I personally wouldn't want for my dd because I think you need to choose to be baptised so it will mean something.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:38 PM on Jun. 7, 2009