How old were your children when you left them home alone for the first time?

sunnyflower417

Asked by sunnyflower417 at 6:58 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• I only have one two year old, but I can tell you my parents left me and my brother home alone when I was 12 and he was 8. This was in the 1970's though! I really think it depends on how long you are going to be gone and how mature the child is.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:00 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My mom left me home alone for 20 minutes when i was 9 i started coming home to an empty house when i was in middle school so like 11...she always called and checked on me and was home 2 hours later...i was pretty grown up for my age though! i agree with above..depends on maturity BIG TIME!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 7:02 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Technically, my oldest was 6. My neighbor fainted, and I went across the street to help her. I realized about 20 later that I had left my 6 year old in the house and hadn't told him where I was. I went back in the house, and he didn't even know I was gone. He was in his room building some huge structure with Legos.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:26 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• my daughter is only 3, but i started staying by myself when i was 8... but i always had the neighbors checking up on me and my mom worked right down the road... literately.
    xanayda

Answer by xanayda at 7:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I was bout 10. We lived in a really small town (nosy neighbors) and my mom worked for the ambulance crew. If it was over night we'd stay with someone or someone would come over.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Hasn't happened yet, I think I wouldn't be comfortable with it until my youngest is at least 10.
    MynTop

Answer by MynTop at 8:48 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My oldest was around 12 or 13 I think. There was a 20 minute gap between here getting off the bus and me getting home from work. Maturity level, the length of time the child is home alone and the neighborhood you live in should all be taken into consideration. Some kids at 14 are just not ready to be left alone for any length of time.....
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• They were 8 and 10. When I had a f/t job they were home for 1/2 hour alone after school until my mom got home (she lives next door). They are now 10 and 12 and I feel very comfortable leaving them home alone for a few hours. No more than 2 or 3, though. They fight too much.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:18 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Depends on the maturity of the child. I recommend taking  a class about staying home alone (offered through hospitols or school district). Also educate through books on staying home alone/safety (see some on this link under Safety/Strangers/Staying Home) http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html    These classes and books cover all the stuff parents forget or don't event think about.

momjs

Answer by momjs at 12:35 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Hasn't happened yet, but I think 10 year old is old enough to be alone for a short time (half hour or less) and 12 or older for longer periods of time. Just my opinion though :o)
    verybestmommy

Answer by verybestmommy at 8:54 AM on Jun. 8, 2009