Christians: When the going gets tough

what scriptures do you use to help? How do you pull yourself up? Have you ever gotten depressed because of the garbage dumped on your life? Does the book of Job help you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I could write a book about the issues we have dealt with in the past 4 years. I have been to the point of walking out on my faith, it has been that bad. Several things help, first is going back through my life and looking at the times God has taken care of me. I keep a journal and have since I was young, with 30 years of walking with God there have been many, many times that I have seen His hand move and care for me.  Second, honest prayer.  By honest prayer I mean telling God my true feelings.  So many Christians try to hid their fear, anger, frustration from God.  We think He will somehow be impressed by our faith.  But God already knows how we feel, and He hasn't stopped loving us yet.  So just be honest with Him.  Remember He was tempted and tried much like we are, so He really understands.  Cont.....

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:51 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• hah when the crap hit the fan recently in my life... I actually was right where I was supposed to read Job... I skipped it entirely because at the time it was too depressing to read. Its not always that way just where I was at at the time. Many scriptures help me through hard times ... Romans 8 is a good one and reading the book of Psalms helps me to know I am not alone in going through hard times. David did too.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:27 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• yes, the scriptures can be encouraging and uplifting to the spirit. however, another thing you can do is be encouraging to others..it doesn't usually take long to find someone who's life/situation is worse than your own. i find that i get blessed/encouraged when i encourage others. sometimes, the very thing we need to hear is what we tell other people.
    everyone goes through seasons of change, sometimes its good, sometimes its bad. knowing you are not alone, or that you are not the only person to experience a bad season tells you that you, too, can make it out!
    shane..romans 8 always cheers me beyond belief!! when i need a reminder of my 'future glory', that's where i find myself reading.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:52 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Usually when I am depressed I avoid Job!!! I really like reading 2 Peter when I am going through trials or Philippians. The Gospels are good EVERYDAY. And of course the Psalms. The whole Bible is just amazing.

My special verse that God gave me for times of suffering and trial is Isaiah 41:13 "For I, the LORD your God, will hold your right hand, Saying to you, 'Fear not, I will help you.'"

There have been many times I actually sit and stare at my right hand and picture the Lord sitting with me holding my hand. I have learned that just knowing He is with me is the best comfort.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 8:47 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My favorite verse - Isaiah 43:2
    When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
    and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;
    when you walk through fire you shall not be burned,
    and the flame shall not consume you.

The book of Job can be encouraging but is also very depressing in the beginning. When going though bad times I do think of Job once in awhile but not actually read the book. It is encouraging to know that God does not do the bad things to you, He may allow them but it is to refine you. In the end by remaining faithful, God will take care of you.
    Anonymous

• con't  and finally Scripture, I love the Psalms.  My "life verse" is Jeremiah 29:11-13
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."  (NIV)

Finally Christian music has a deep effect on my heart.  Anything that reminds me who God is and how much He loves me.

the book of Job doesn't really do it for me. 

Hope all this helps,
    Kim Q

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:57 AM on Jun. 8, 2009