to spank or not to spank. that is the question

what do you ladies think? good idea?

MissLisa7657

Asked by MissLisa7657 at 7:22 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think it should not be a parents first choice, thats for sure! Timeouts and such should be first.
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 7:25 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I think I have spanked my 4 year old once. But last night she went into sassy mode and and was like well you can either give me some money or shut up. And i was like ok you can either have the hand or the belt....and I sent her to her room for time out. She lost her attitude.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 7:34 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• i don't see a problem with it as long as the child is beaten!!! I spank mine when she has been told OVER and OVER and OVER again not to put her fingers in an outlet or stay away from the lawnmower when it's running! Maybe it's more of a fear for me to see her get hurt, but I would rather spank her then see anything happen to her!!! She learned immediately after that too and hasn't tried repeating any action that got her a spanking in the first place. A time out or talking with her on eye level she tests me time and time again!
    I think every kid is different... some kids spanking doesnt work and timeouts do!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:35 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I am definitely for spanking. It's the way I was raised && the way my children will be raised. It is usually not my first resort, but I definitely don't feel bad when I do spank my son. Usually I give him plenty of chances to do what I ask before I spank && I don't spank him for everything. For some things, time-outs work better.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 8:00 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Completely your choice. There are the right and wrong way to do nearly every situation in parenting. As long as you know the boundaries for whichever method of discipline you choose then you'll be ok.

Take for example my cousin who is very anti-spanking. She puts her children into time outs because she believes spanking is abuse. However she will put her 18 month old child into time out for 2 hours and has even admitted that once putting him into timeout for 4 hours when he tried to climb out. To me that is abuse. So, yes, any method of discipline COULD be abuse. Spanking could be abusive, time outs could be abusive. There is no clear line on some things.

You just need to listen to your heart and follow what it is telling you.
    Anonymous

• I've spanked my son 3 times in his 3.5 years of life, once for running into the street after being told no numerous times, once for leaving the house while i was in the shower (just last week i about died of panic) and once a hand slap more then a spank for trying to touch the stove... all 3 times he never repeated the action again. as for going outside it was just last week but he says now "i have to stay inside or mommy spank my butt" so i have a feeling it won't happen again. 99% of the time time-outs work for him but when his safety is involved and i've warned more then once not to do it he gets spanked.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• my mom always told me "don't spank your kids because you're mad, spank them because they did something wrong".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• i beleive in spanking and timeouts depending on what its being done to warrent it my dh doesnt believe in spanking and u can tell the difference between his boy and my dd. if i tell my dd what she is doing is a spankable offence chance r she will stop it without a fuss, if she doesnt then she gets swated and put in front of a wall intill she either quites throwing her tantrum or intill i say get up. but if u tell his ds to stop something and tell him its a spankable offence he keeps on doing it. i dont know what to do about him b/c i wont disaplin him anymore..im tired of getting critized when i do.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 1:19 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I think spanking should be a last resot!! I was spanked and been beaten by a belt all when I was a kid!! Well I guess spanking in the back and face is abuse!!! Anyways I have 4 daughers and have had to have some redirecting in paenting and spanking should never be out of anger!! I have spanked my kids a couple of times for serious behaviors!! But only on their butts than asked them why I spanked them and made them understand why they got spanked!! I mainley use time outs, cornners ,ground them, no tv or radio or take something away that they really like!! I love my girls so much I would never raise them the way I was raised!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• spanking should be the last resort, I think that a lot of kids have problems because they don't get spanked anymore.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 4:42 AM on Jun. 8, 2009