My 14 month old cries and fights when I brush his teeth. Is that normal?

Why does he hate to get his teeth brushed??

His_Mommy26

Asked by His_Mommy26 at 7:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh and nothing is bleeding or anything like that. I have a toothbrush just for him and it's not hard at all of course.
    His_Mommy26

Answer by His_Mommy26 at 7:25 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My son does the same thing and he's 18 months old. =) So I guess it's normal.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 8:03 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My DD is 17 mo old and hate it when I brush her teeth for her. I just give her the toothbrush and she chews on it for a bit and if I can get a little brushing in then great!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:29 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Yes... My 17 month old twins do the same thing. My boy's were the same way. They do get over it.
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 9:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• It's normal. Try negotiating a situation he'd like better... for us what eventually worked was letting her "brush" our teeth (with our brush) while we brushed hers. Now she gets to brush hers for awhile and then we finish up, or vice-versa. But my daughter definitely went through stages of hating it. She's great with it now at 2 years old. Just keep trying different things.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:57 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Def. let your son "brush" on his own, then try to either sneak in there or brush when he is done. I don't think any kid likes to have their teeth brushed. My dd di like it when she was about 8 months old, lol, but after that she just wants to do it herself but of course doesn't know how :P

Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 1:00 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My dd, now 1, cries when I do it, but not when daddy does. She is a daddy's girl anyway. My son, now 3, went thru that crying but is over it now and cooperates. Even when I have to brush her teeth I do let her try brushing mine with my brush and she loves it, or I just hold her in cradle position for about 10 sec while I get a good brush and all the crying is over.
    cynthiaesquivel

Answer by cynthiaesquivel at 3:20 AM on Jun. 8, 2009