Do you feel bad for dads that don't get to stay at home? Why should they have to work, can't the mom work and the dad stay home?

Someone said why have kids if you can't watch them all day...so why should a dad have a kid if he doesn't get to be with his kids all day? Then who's going to work and bring home money? I feel really bad for dads, and for working people in general who get bashed because they work outside of the home :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• I see no problem with a stay at home dad. I can't wait til my husband is one. I work full time plus from home so that I can be with my kids and provide us with the income that will allow him to retire in a few years.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Because dads aren't the ones who are pregnant for 9 months.

Besides, there are dads who stay home. I don't think anyone should be bashed for their choices as long as they're doing what works for the family.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I've offered going to work and him staying home... he said the ONLY way that will EVER happen is if i get into playboy and make us TONS of $!!! He doesn't wanna stay home.... he says "men are supposed to be the provider" so I think his feelings are it would make him less of a man.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I thought women wanted to be treated as equals though! I don't see how women being the one that's pregnant makes them automatically able to be the one staying home, I worked throughout both pregnancies and am the main provider for my family as well...Because we get pregnant we are too weak to work? Give me a break!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• Just because he wasn't pregnant doesn't make him less of a parent :(
    Anonymous

• I don't feel bad for them, there are some companies that allow you to work from home.
    IRA871

Answer by IRA871 at 7:37 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• That "Someone" needs to shut up. There is nothing wrong with working to provide for your family. I think society has it pounded in their brains that fathers HAVE to be the one working, not the mother. I think people are worried about what others would think if the husband stayed at home with the kids. Sad.
    I'm a SAHM myself because we can afford me to be a SAHM. If I had to, I would work and I wouldn't feel bad about it at all. I usually work part-time during the fall/holiday season to save up money for a family trip. My life, my kids, my choice.
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 7:41 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• First of all, as mothers we're the ones who carry them for almost a year and then pass them through our bodies; so naturally, our connections to them are very different, more nurturing. But that's not to say that a dad can't be just and nurturing to his children. If that's the case, and the mother is that kind of person who just loves to work, or something happens and their family needs to kind of reverse the roles, then what's the problem?
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 7:54 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• There are a lot of stay at home dads its just the majority of families decide on the mom being at home rather then the dad thats all.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:12 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Because it would take him too much work to lactate.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:19 PM on Jun. 7, 2009