my cats won't stop demolishing my house?

OK i'm pregnant and my cats will not stop scratching things, the couches, the walls, the bed, the doors. Every five minutes I have to get up and make them stop. I can't take it anymore. These cats were my EVERYTHING before i got pregnant but now i'm starting to hate them. Its killing me that the baby is hearing me yell at my cats ten times a day while my husbands at work, its all the baby is going to hear is me yelling. i'm sure my patience is shorter these days.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 7:45 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Pets

• Our cat scratched up everything too when he was strictly indoors only. We finally let him be an outdoor/indoor cat and now he plays all day outside, then comes in to sleep or eat, not destroy. If you are really getting fed up I would just let the cats go outside. Our cat adjusted fine after 2 years of never being outside.
    danyle02

Answer by danyle02 at 9:59 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• you could get them de-clawed if they are always going to be inside cats. just incase you didn't know, which im sure you do but just incase, don't change their litterbox while you're prego!
    Anonymous

• im in the same boat....i have two house cats and ya they sleep most of the time but when they are awake they get into everything scratch my carpet(which i hate) i have gotten to the point where i just want to give them away because i just imagen when my baby gets here how am i going to handle a newborn and the two cats but i know at the end of the day i will never get rid of them i just have to find a solution or just deal with it....
    RIP.Caleb

Answer by RIP.Caleb at 7:48 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Get a spray bottle. The SECOND they raise their paws to do something naughty....NAIL THEM with the spray. Either water or vinegar. 5 sprays later, they'll only by scratching their scratchpost.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• i find it safer for ME to scoop the box because i do it once or twice a day, in order for it to hurt me the cat has to have the toxoplasmis or whatever and its on their feces after 48 hours of sitting in the box. if i scoop everyday and wash my hands afterwards i'm fine. if my husband does it he'll forget and he never washes his hands afterwards so he could touch something then i could touch it and its just even dirtier than if i do it.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:54 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• lass i have the spray bottle, i can't always get to them while they are scratching as they do it EVERYWHERE and i usually stay in one room. i'll be more persistant with it though. i haven't tried vinegar, that sounds nice and foul
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:55 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I trim my cat's nails. I have four. You sit them on your lap like you do with the kid and simply trim, taking care not to cut the quick. Now when they do scratch, it doesn't cause the same damage.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 8:35 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• there are also cat claw covers so they cannot damage stuff. i just wanted to say good luck because once the baby comes they will be very jealous. They will nto attack the baby but they will be very demanding of you and your attn, plus they will want to mark all the babys things...just a heads up I have 2 cats and a 7 week old baby. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:26 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• well i'm glad they won't be attacking my baby, thanks. :) lol
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2009