timing formula

ok im confused! My son drinks the powder formula. We are trying to figure out how long its good for once we make it. We've been going a hour but sometimes waste alot. i was reading on the can n it says "do not use prepared formula if it is unrefrigerated for more than a total of 2hours." then it says "after feeding begins do not refrigerate feeding bottle you must use within one hour or discard"
soo... if i dont put it n the fridge then its good for 2hours????
please help i feel dumb n confused =D

EthansMommy5

Asked by EthansMommy5 at 7:46 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If your son starts to drink the bottle, it's only good for an hour. If you just prepared it and he hasn't begun to drink it, it's good for 2 hours.
    Anonymous

• i always discard it after an hour. i try and look at it as if it were me, i wouldn't drink a glass of milk that has been sitting out more than that. and i also don't like drinking a glass of milk that has been sitting in the fridge, so i don't refridgerate leftover bottles.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• no its good for 48 hours as long as its in the fridge. if you leave it out of the fridge for more than 2 hours its not good (that is what the 2 hour thing is). it also is saying that after you start to use a bottle if you put 3 oz in the bottle but baby only eats 2 ounces you have to throw away the ounce thats left. so does that make sense?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:51 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I prepared them and put them in the fridge becuase it said "good for 2 hours unless refridgerated" meaning they last longer in there... once you heat them up do not put them back in the fridge... i always threw them out whenever she was done... I also used the concentrate but it said the same stuff! I just had to refridgerate the stuff left in the can so I'd make all the bottles and put them in the fridge til it was ready to be used and we used them all on a daily basis
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 8:02 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• If you prepare the bottle and do not put it in the fridge, and do not start feeding it, it is good for 2 hours.

If you prepare the bottle and begin feeding, it is good for one hour.

If you prepare the bottle and put it in the fridge, no feeding from it, it is good for 24 hours.

I always use to make big batches at night for the next 24 hours, put the fixed bottles in the fridge so I only had to grab and warm. (heat water in microwave, put bottle in water, change a diaper and it's ready!) It was easier on their stomachs, too....a lot less air bubbles!

Once a can is open, the powder is good for 30 days.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2009