Dating your spouse.

I was told by a marriage counselor that in order to fix the disaster I call a marriage, that my husband and I should start dating again. How weird is that? What do you talk about that won't start an argument?

fuelsgirl2

Asked by fuelsgirl2 at 7:58 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Relationships

• Right! Doesn't make sense to me either.
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 8:01 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Like start dating each other? I think that is a great idea, I always make sure there is just time for me and my fiance. After being together for 6 years you start to get comfortable, so it is great to get all dressed up and go out just the 2 of us, to dinner and a movie, or to the bar. I have heard it is relaly good to go to the bar at different times, and then try and pick each other up. It makes you feel good!

Now if your saying that you were told to date other people, there is a BIG problem with that and with your counselor! I would go see someone else!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 8:03 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• You start looking for the things that first brought you together. You take time out to get to know each other again. In other words, you start over.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 8:06 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• have date night once a week or month go out just the two of you. if you don't want to argue about something, don't talk about money or other things that cause arguments. talk about when you first started dating, what you're dreams and goals are in life. stuff like that. hell talk about the people at the next table, just get out together and do stuff together and while you are out stuff will come up that you can talk about. we go out about once a month just the two of us, it could just be to a fast food place for lunch and then to do some shopping but we try to spend a little bit of time alone w/o the kids
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I strongly advise dating your spouse. When you were just starting dating, chances are you fixed yourself up and put on your best manners, acted fascinated by everything he said, you sparkled, you laughed, you showed him how much you enjoyed his company. By dating, you concentrate on one another. Sure you can go see a movie, but it is together, and walking to and from the car you can chat, and while driving you can chat, you are focused on one another. By dating you can relearn about each other. You become lovers again, not just people slogging through hardships together.

Answer by Bmat at 8:21 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My husband and I make sure we date-- he even asks if I'm available on a Saturday night, for instance, then makes plans for us. It works both ways. It shows me he's not taking me for granted by assuming I'm available, and it's nice to have a surprise once in a while. Sometimes our dates are nothing more than staying in, just the two of us, with a movie we've wanted to see and a "carpet picnic"-- dinner we eat on the carpet in front of the tv while we watch the movie. Sometimes it's quite extravagent (for us anyway)- like dinner in a fancy restaurant in the city with tickets to the theater, with a night at a hotel so we don't have to rush home.

The idea is we focus on what made us so great with each other and why we want to be together. We remind ourselves why we chose the other as our partner for life, It's quite wonderful!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 8:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Dating is vital. It gives you "we" time without the kids.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• lots of married guys think dating is the thing to do. They just do it with other women and not their wife!
    Anonymous