• In the Spotlight:

Tamiflu Question?

Hi People, Okay my son of 7 mths has the flu and the doctor at the hospital gave him a perscription for Tamiflu (oseltamivir phosphate) and I thought I would read up on it and everytime I read something it said only for 12 months or older. I was wondering if anyone has every had to give their child this. Thanks in advance.

CarsBars08

Asked by CarsBars08 at 8:14 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your doctor would know better than cafemom people
    Anonymous

• I work at a Ear Nose and Throat clinic and I have never given that to a child under 12 months. I write scripts all the time. But, I have not had to come across that situation either. They are the doctors. Sometimes if the weight is high enough they don't go by age.
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 8:16 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I am not sure about giving it to a baby, I have never heard of this but I think it is important to give to your child with the swine flu going around. I know that I would in a doctors office and the only flu we are seeing is Type A which is the type the swine flu is, but we have not sent any cultures out to see if any of them truly are the swine flu. I would call your babys normal doctor and ask, but tamiflu is only effective is started with in the first 48 hours of the flu!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 8:17 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Angie-you cannot write scripts unless you are a doctor or ARNP. Good try though. Call your doctor or call the hospital or pharmacy and ask them
    Anonymous

• You wanna make a bet? I write scripts every single day at my job....and I write them for surgeries and for patients in the clinic on a daily basis. I am my doctors personal assistant in clinic and in surgery. Dont make comments on things you dont know for sure!!!
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 8:22 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Thanks for your input and anonymous I was just asking if people gave their children this before or not thank you ma'am.
    CarsBars08

Answer by CarsBars08 at 8:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• By the way, this is a opinion only website...no one is expected to take the comments as if it were a doctor. I agree that she should contact a doctor also.....but that was my opionion to give. I write scripts to young kids all the time.......and adults. So, next time you have a problem with something why dont you just message me instead of staying anon and writing in in someone elses post.
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 8:26 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Thank you angie and mrsmamaj!!!
    CarsBars08

Answer by CarsBars08 at 8:26 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I haven't and wouldn't. Just keep him comfy. No need to medicate.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:47 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Angie-I work with doctors daIly and am a nurse and I know for a fact you cannot LEGALLY write a script. Contact your pharmacy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Jun. 8, 2009