How Can I Get My 7 Month Old Son Sleep All Night?!

My Son Is 7 months Old. He Is A Good Boy but He Will Not Sleep All Night, He Wakes Up 2-3 Times and Usually I Have To Give Him His Pacifier or Rock and Sing Him Back To Sleep, If It's Around 5:00am I Have To Give Him A Bottle To Get Him To Go Back To Sleep. He Is On Zantac 2x Daily For Acid Reflux but I'm Not Sure That's What It Is or If He Is Just Wanting To Be Near Me. Any Help/Advise On What To Do or What Will Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated. I Just Want Him To Sleep All Night!! Thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What's with the Capital Letters? It makes your writing hard to read!
    Anonymous

• have you tried just letting him cry himself back to sleep on his own for a bit? it won't hurt him to fuss a little and he's old enough that if he is fed, and dry it will be ok to let him cry.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:26 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Unfortunately, that sounds about right to me for 7 months old... You may be able to train him to stop waking up those earlier times for the pacifier, but that 5am feeding I think most babies that age still need. Usually babies that age can fast for about 10 hours comfortably -- which usually gets them from a 7pm bedtime to 5am. My doctor told me that nearly all the babies he's met wake up between 5-6 am -- the lucky parents are the ones whose babies will go back to sleep after feeding. My 9 month old does go back to sleep if I nurse her between 5-6 (there are exceptions); my first daughter did not... she was up for the day!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:27 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• talk to his ped. see if a watery cereal mix is ok to give him before bed. I gave my (now grown dd's) cereal starting at 4 months (watered in their bottles) and that helped them sleep all night... but talk to your ped first... now a days what was fine then isn't so fine now...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• oh
    you should keep him up during the day by playing ,readinging to him do any thing
    that will make him sleep more at night
    ilovewes

Answer by ilovewes at 8:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Do NOT keep him up more during the day! More structured nap times lead to better sleep at night. An over tired baby is just distraught and has a harder time sleeping at night.

Try to train him to sleep without the paci. Then he won't wake up looking for it. I highly recommend the No Cry Sleep Solution. It is full of ideas and it explains your baby's sleep cycle in detail so that you know what is going on.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Agreed..when kids are OVer tired it makes falling asleep much harder, when theyve had good naps during the day they suprisingly sleep better, i gave my son a tad bit of cereal in his milk pretty early..and it helped..i also left the tv on so he could hear someones voice to comfort him.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

This is TOTALLY true. Do not skip naps EVER...Babies get over tired then can't sleep well at night.. My 17 month old twins still take two naps and sleep better at night because of it. They take a nap from 10 am to noon then in the afternoon from 3 to 5..then to bed at 8 pm...The more sleep you get the more you want...JMA
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 9:26 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Two naps a day for two hours will help him sleep through the night. Your son is old enough to cry it out and he's just looking for attention. When I let my son cry it out I only do it for maybe ten minutes. Then I'll go in and turn on his mobile, or fisher price glowing thing. If that doesn't work I'll hold him and rock him until I hear a yawn or his "tired noises".

Fussing doesn't count as crying either. If he's 7 months old he needs to literally be screaming for you to get him in the middle of the night. Sometimes babies have bad dreams to or get shocked and cry for a couple minutes. The best advice I can give is structured naps during the day (cry it out works here too) and making sure he's REALLY crying then wait ten minutes unless he's sick of course.

It's all of course what you feel comfortable with. YOU'RE his mommy and I personally believe that all babies are different and their mommies know best.
    ours

Answer by ours at 9:34 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• You can't. He'll do it when he's ready. This is normal for a 7mos old.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:45 PM on Jun. 7, 2009