Why are some parents so selfish?

I have heard some moms say things like "I don't let my kids watch a certain educational cartoon because it's annoying to me" or "I am not ready for my baby to eat table food" and things like that.I think that that is so selfish.As long as it's nothing bad or something to harm the child,they should be able to do it.Am I the only one who feels this way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• Absolutely. It's lazy parenting! how can someone not be ready for their child to eat table food? thats just crazy. It comes with having kids
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 8:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• It is selfish if it is actively harmful to the child. To withhold a TV program doesn't see that bad, to me. Some parents don't let their children watch TV at all. And starting table food- well the child will get nutrients that she needs from baby food, what she'll lack is fresh salads, fresh vegetables and fruits. So those parents are delaying getting the baby used to table foods, which doesn't seem like a good idea. But everybody has their own ways. If the parent said I wanted to finish my book so I let the baby stand around in a messy diaper... that would be selfish to my mind. Um.. I've wandered around the topic. Why are some parents selfish? Because they are people and some people are selfish, self-centered.

Answer by Bmat at 8:33 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Parents are allowed to raise their children the way they see fit. It is not up to us to judge their decisions. As far as starting table foods, I don't know ANY adults who don't know to chew (or to use a knife, fork and spoon), so why does it matter WHEN the parent feels it's time to start their child on table food? Exactly how does it impact YOUR life? I think we need to spend more time focusing on being good parents instead of worrying ourselves with other parents and THEIR parenting skills/beliefs.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:44 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• And if a parent's diet is not all that great, delaying table foods might not be such a bad idea. Jarred fruits and veggies are a lot more nutritious than a frozen burrito!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:46 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Just because a TV show is supposed to be educational doesn't mean that you have to let your child watch it. It's not like the parent said "I don't send my kid to school because then I'll just have to help her with her homework and that is annoying." There are plenty of better ways to educate your child than to plop them in front of a TV show. As a matter of fact education TV is one of the least effective methods of education. I don't see the problem with not letting a kid watch it. TV is to be at a parent's discretion.

As for the table foods, it may have been an idle comment such as "Oh he's getting so big, I'm not ready for big boy pants yet!" well of course she wants her son potty trained, she's just expressing sadness for the end of baby days. If the child is well over a year old and is still eating purees and rice cereal then that's a bit extreme. Are you sure it wasn't just an expression?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Table food is not needed until 12 months. It's not selfish to withhold them. It's selfish when you start them too early because of "my mom did it and I turned out fine" bull crap.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:58 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• OP here- I am just using those as examples.I thought I made my post clear.I mean people who hold their kids back from doing something that is good for them,for their own selfish,personal reasons.
    Anonymous

• My son is 9 months and the only thing we have fed him besides baby food in a jar and oatmeal are a handful of cheerios. I am getting CPR certified this week, however, I will not feed him table foods until I know that if he ever choked, I feel comfortable to help him out. I don't think that's selfish at all. I think it's people like you who try to persuade mom's to do a certain thing that they might not be ready for and then something happens because they weren't ready yet. It's not going to hurt my son to not have table food for the next 2-3 months.
    Anonymous

• I don't let my son watch TV and he did not eat table food until he was 6 months old because babies cannot digest solids until that age. Call me bad don't care. You do what you like and worry about your own life. If you find yourself so bored you have to judge what other moms do you need to get a hobby.
    Anonymous

• I think you are all missing the point. She is not saying that its bad to withhold TV and table foods, she is saying that it depends on your reasons for doing so.
    For example: I dont mind a little TV. But if I decided not to let my son watch a certain show because the show annoys ME, then thats selfish. My programs probably annoy him too.
    Or....parents who push their kids to hold their own bottle because they are tired of holding it.

She does not mean parents who research decisions and form opinions on them.
    I agree with OP, its selfish parenting.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 9:39 PM on Jun. 7, 2009