Is there any way to tell if you'll go over-due?

I'm 39 weeks and 2 days, due on Friday.
Baby has dropped, and as of June 4th i was dilated 4 cm and at least 50% effaced. I have a lot of pressure down there. I've lost my plug when I was 38 weeks.

Is there any way to tell if I'd go over due or not? My doctor didn't think I would last week, but there isn't really a 100% chance is there.

CamiiiCompasion

Asked by CamiiiCompasion at 8:44 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• the more laying on your side you do the better you will dilate and eface there is no really way to know but keep this in mind although they say 40 weeks as a general term the ACTUAL length of human pregnancy is 41 weeks 2 days... why do we shorten off the 9 days?? conveniece

MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:57 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• 40 weeks is not really over due. Normal human gestation is 37-42 weeks. The changes in your cervix and the plug provide little as far as clues for when labor will start. I don't think it's fair for your doctor to give you a time line, s/he really has no idea when you will have the baby....it's just makes a mom anxious. I would say that every day brings you one day closer to meeting your baby. Stay positive, get rest, and let nature take it's course.
    hopinforanother

Answer by hopinforanother at 9:00 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I wasn't saying 40 weeks was over due. I'm saying I don't want to go over due as in, past 41 weeks because I don't want to be induced.
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 9:26 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I'm 41 weeks today and everyone was convinced I was going to deliver early around 36-38 weeks. ahhh, i'm still pregnant!!!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 11:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2009