What kind of feeding schedule should I be using with my six-month-old baby girl?

My little girl is able to eat Stage 2 foods now, but I have no idea what kind of feeding schedule to put her on. How many times a day does she eat food verses drink a bottle (she is on formula now, no longer nursing)? What quantities are right? I know about starting her out on single item foods and letting her try the same thing several times in a row to determine allergies. But how do I know about varying the types of foods now that there are several she can eat? Basically anything that you can offer will be greatly helpful!

LisaKayStingRay

Asked by LisaKayStingRay at 9:16 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• went to the doc a few weeks ago for a checkup and asked this question. i was told no more than 4 8oz bottles a day..between that you can give jar foods, and cereal or juice..etc...whatever you choose..so ive put my son on a basic schedule like mine..solid breakfast. formula...solid lunch formula....solid dinner...formula...and a formula bottle when he goes to bed...i give him juice if he appears to be thirsty or if weve been in the car and its been hot.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 9:19 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• At least 24oz of formula a day, so what you could do is split it up 8oz for breakfast, 8oz for lunch, 8oz for dinner. I split this up around when my son gets up and goes to sleep then spaced out lunch equally from there.

Oh and my son eats hit food when he has his bottle.
    ours

Answer by ours at 9:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Four 8oz bottles a day?? Oh my god he's already so fat, I couldn't imagine adding another bottle haha.
    ours

Answer by ours at 9:21 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• lol "ours" my son is a great eater, i try to distract him and keep him busy but when hes hungry theres nothing else he wants...he eats it so fast that its like i never gave him anything...down to less than 5 mins a bottle?! lol...
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 9:26 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I thought mine was too, but you got me beat lol. My son's very demanding too. I'll use as much of a pear or a whole banana and even add oatmeal WITH an 8oz bottle and it's like I just can't feed him fast enough haha. The funny thing is...the pediatrician actually said he's UNDER weight for his length and age! No one believes me from the look of him but that was before he was having three bowls of solid food a day.
    ours

Answer by ours at 9:29 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My son is 6 mo and weighs 20 lbs even and our dr told us that he is perfectly fine! But he has 3 stage 2's a day same as my meal schedule and he eats about 4 6 oz bottles a day!
    kcriswell

Answer by kcriswell at 9:59 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• gerber.com has wonderful feeding tips and sample menus at every age, plus you can get great coupons in the mail. also go to huggies.com and pampers.com and they mail out coupons every month.
    daisy6878

Answer by daisy6878 at 11:11 PM on Jun. 7, 2009