Are Rastafarians allowed to smoke marijuana in the USA?

If they are bona fide Rastafarians, are they permitted to use weed as part of their religious practice, or is there no religious exemption from the anti-weed laws?

If you know nothing about Rastafarianism and just want to complain about some pothead you know, please don't reply. Thanks!!

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 9:18 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• In 2002, a three-judge panel for the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled to limit federal prosecutions of Rastafarians who use marijuana for sacramental purposes on federal property or in U.S. territories. The judges determined that protections granted by a 1993 federal religious-freedom law permits the personal use and possession of marijuana - but not the sale or importation of marijuana - for religious purposes.

Why do I plan on seeing an whole new uprise in Rasta "culture"
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 10:15 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Not to my knowledge.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 9:19 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• If they are where can I join? lol just kidding!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:25 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• as far as I know, if it's illegal, it's illegal. I know some native american churches still do peyote rituals but they do so very discreet because it is illegal. so I would assume rastas smoke discreetly too!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:37 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Native Americans are allowed to use peyote for religious rituals, the same applies for Rastafarians. As long as it is a religious thing, than yes they are.

ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:51 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• What the hell is a Rastafarian?
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 10:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Now that's what I call an incentive to convert!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• LOL beeky.......yup! See Christians? That's all you gotta do...offer us weed! :D Doesn't have to be that complicated.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:33 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• mamakirs.....This seems ridiculous to me (the law, not your reply). ANYONE could use marijuana or other psychedelic drugs to get "closer to God", but if it's a personal religious belief and not an official one of an organized religion, then it's not valid? This country is so backwards....
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:36 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• http://www.rastafarian.net/
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 10:38 PM on Jun. 7, 2009