Is it true what they say about Purebred Labs?

I have a one year old purebred black lab and I've heard that they are pretty stupid until they're about 2 years old....I've been noticing with my dog that when he was a puppy he wasn't the smartest and very timid....now that he's getting older he's a lot better and smarter but Labs are hard to deal with I think!!

sweetmissy_05

Asked by sweetmissy_05 at 2:53 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Pets

• I've heard that they are in a "puppy" state of mind their entire lives.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Oh gosh that would be awful lol! Well Max is out of his puppy stage now....we can let him run free when we go places and he doesn't get into anything...not even the garbage....he doesn't potty in the house, he's well mannered, great with the kids.....I just heard that they can be stupid for a while....but then they're smart and very loyal dogs.
    sweetmissy_05

Answer by sweetmissy_05 at 3:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• My dad's was a handfull till about 2 then it calmed down....stupid? yea stupid jumping stupid energy stupid lack of attention span but not dumb dumb. VERY smart and very teachable. Great with kids!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Some say labs take up to 4 years before they "grow" out of their youth and stop chewing everything in sight.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 4:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• lab puppy stage is 3yrs! have fun
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 7:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I think they are more easily distracted when they are young than other large breeds. Labs are NOT stupid...look at how they help disabled people. A lot of guild dogs are retrievers (Labradors or Goldens) because of their trainability and the fact that they are generally non-aggressive. They start their socializing and basic obedience as soon as they are fully vaccinated, and begin their specialized training at 1 year.
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 8:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Labs are good smart dogs. However they need alot of constant pack leadership influence. My grandparents lab isn't that bright but hes also stuck in the puppy phaise. He still thinks hes a puppy and hes like close to 17 years old or older and still wants to be held like a puppy because they never taught him how to be grown. He still squats to pee instead of being adult and raising his leg. They are good dogs but you really must teach them to be an adult otherwise they will stay in the puppy state of mind.
    CuteCowgirlMami

Answer by CuteCowgirlMami at 8:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• We have a 7 month old chocolate lab. She is very smart - definately not stupid. But she does act like a puppy! She chews everything and is constant energy. She wears me out more than my kids do sometimes! But she is an excellent family dog - always kind and patient with the kids and really wants to please us. Best dog I've ever had. I just can't wait for the puppy stage to be over...
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 3:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Labs are very smart dogs and are very trainable. They are a working dog so they have a lot of energy. You have to exercise them alot. They are a puppy until 2-3 years of age.  Who ever you heard from that they are dumb are crazy.
    Anonymous

• what??? Labs are definitely one of the smartest most loving breeds around! That's why you see so many as 'helper' dogs for people with diabilities. Choose your puppy well...spend time with it before deciding and choose one with a disposition you are looking for.Give them a few years to mature and grow. All the work you put into raising a good dog will be rewarded for many years with a dog that makes you happy and is well adjusted to you and your family. Nothing comes easy , but the rewards are great!
    munkeyduste

Answer by munkeyduste at 11:01 PM on Sep. 24, 2008