Is spotting during pregnancy normal?

I have been having a dark brown discharge for the past few weeks. Im only 8 weeks pregnant. Once in awhile I'll have alittle blood show but no cramps or anything. I've been into the doctor and he said that my baby is doing fine but he cant figure out where the spotting is coming from. It scares me because I don't want to have a miscarriage. I've read online this can be normal in some cases but how often does this happen? How many babies turn out to be fine?

PMS914

Asked by PMS914 at 9:44 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• some women do spot just keep an eye on it. my baby was fine. it should go away soon.
    MommyTessier

Answer by MommyTessier at 9:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I spotted in the first trimester. it was very light pink to brown and everything is normal so far baby is nice an healthy! =) My Dr. said not to worry unless the bleeding fills up a pad then you have a problem. Try to stay positive im sure everything will be fine! =)

also you might spot when it is time for your period (most likely brown) it is most likely from old blood that is stuck up there but it'll go away soon! hope this helps!
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 11:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I bleed at 7 weeks. I had no cramps or pain...just bright red blood when I went to the bathroom. I was so scared. I went to dr. and they said baby was okay too. I had brown discharge for a few days. Then everything was normal until 14 weeks. Same thing, bright red blood at night. Stopped by morning. Had ultrasound and baby was kicking away. Your cerix is very sensitive. Sometimes it can cause iriation and bleed. Also, as you uterus grows, it can have little tears. Some miscarry, and some are fine. My dr. put me off my feet for three days both times. Now baby and I are fine. I did get a heart monitor for home to check when I was scared but you are too early. Everything I read said cramps are a bad sign. Spotting can be normal. Try not to worry and take it easy. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon it happened to me my dr told me that its normal for some women because your body is used to having a cycle. but when you visit your dr just let them know. But during the first trimester it is normal.
    raurismomma07

Answer by raurismomma07 at 8:35 PM on Jun. 10, 2009