EMT/Firefighter SO?

Does anyone else have a SO that is a Emt, Medic, or Firefighter or any occupation that reguires them to work ALOT??? And how do you deal with being home alone with your children for long periods of time?

kcriswell

Asked by kcriswell at 9:45 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Relationships

• my husband is navy. so hes gone alot and as far as being alone with the kids for long periods of time. how long do you consider long periods? i mean my husband deploys for 6 months every 9 months, so we spend alot of time talking about daddy. she has pictures of him in her room (our son is too young to talk about daddy yet, but he has seen pics and gotten to hear daddy on webcam hes only 2 weeks). she talks to him when he calls, i tell her its ok to miss him but that he is helping people and will be home soon. that he misses her too and wishes he could be home with her. stay busy, teach yourself a new hobby, redecorate something in the house, get the kids involved in some sort of activities so they have something to keep their mind off daddy not around and you can meet parents with the same views as you so you get to make new friends.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:48 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My SO has to get up at 5 be gone by 5:30 and isnt back home til 6 at night...thats almost 13 hours..then by the time he comes home he wants to unwind and relax..which i dont blame him...so im up with baby if hes up at 3 or 4 in the morning and im with him ALLLLL day because im a SAHM...its ROUGH!! i have God Awful days..but i love my baby and we make it work...im there to see all the cute things he learns to do!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 9:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• wow he's not gone that long! He works 24 hrs and is off 48 but he works extra hrs here lately! and our son is only 6months so it doesn't seem to bother him but I have to do everything with the baby the night before he goes into work so he can sleep and then when he gets home he's extremly tiredso we don't spend as much time together as we used to
    kcriswell

Answer by kcriswell at 9:52 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• K i now feel bad for the 13 hour thing..you both have it much worse lol..Couldnt deal with the navy thing...thats part of the reason i didnt want my SO to go into the Marines...too much time lost..you cant get back!!! Kudos to you both....XOXO
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 9:55 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• The time period isnt the same for me but my hubbie is gone alot to work I just do crafts with the kids, find other moms in my neighborhood to hang out with I started taking a class so I can have me time and when he is off I just try to relax and be a family
    raurismomma07

Answer by raurismomma07 at 10:00 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My DH is a firefighter/paramedic. It can be hard to be home alone with the kids so much! Last summer he went out on a strike team and was gone for 3 weeks, right after I fell and bruised my tailbone and couldn't drive and had to lay down most of the day.

It really helps to have some good friends around. I am close to some of my neighbors and that makes a big difference. I have one neighbor who has a partner who is a flight attendant and is usually gone for 2 wks at a time. We will trade of having the kids play at my house and her house.

MY DH is really good about helping when he is home, like he always does the dishes when he is home. I do find that he gets "out of sync" with the kids and it is hard for him to jump right back in.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:09 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My f*ck buddy is a fireman. He's married so not sure when he gets to be at home with wife. A lot of those men stay gone bc they don't like being with w anyway
    Anonymous

• Seriously, who wrote anon 11:06. You're an idoit.
    lilmommy0416

Answer by lilmommy0416 at 7:15 PM on Jun. 8, 2009