Older dog attacked puppy...

Our 2 year old female pit bull attacked our 3 month old female. They have been together MANY times before and she never had a problem with her. Then the other day they were outside in the kennel and the 2 year old female attacked the 3 month old pit bull (keep in mind we have 2 other pit bulls 5 months and 7 months) like she was going to kill her, this was just out of the blue, she has NEVER attacked or thought about attacking any animal or human/child before. Has anyone heard of why she may do this or have heard similar story? (Please no bashing because this involves pitbulls-thank you)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Pets

• It could be a dominance thing, if she considers herself the pack leader. If it were me, I'd make sure that myself or husband asserts yourself over the 2 year old dog, make her submit to you. I know it sounds silly, but if she is dethroned as the leader, she won't have any trouble when a new one joins the pack. If you have trouble doing this, I'd suggest some behavioral training, even is she's well mannered, she might benefit just from learning how to listen and submit to you.

Anonymous

• I agree on the pack-leader thing. In the wild, you see this in coyotes, etc. Leave them alone to work it out. I also agree that you and hubby should be recognized as "Alpha-leaders" to the two year old.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 10:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I do not agree to "leave them alone" you'll end up with a dead dog. i agree with the alph thing as far as you are leader, but that wont help between the dogs. You need to seperate them, and then reintroduce them slowly and always with you there and a hose or something to break it up. If the older one goes at her again, slam her to the ground on her back and let the pup stand on her.. This is not a pit bull bash, more a fact, pit bulls re a breed that is known for dominance issues and behaviors alot more than say a lab. Just be aware at all times that (and again nt a bash) that they can be unpredictable due to yrs of bad bredding. If oyu can talk to the breeder about the dogs thats helpful too, just to get a feel whats coming as far as parental history. good luck. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:21 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I agreed with Bearsien's post up until she said "If the older one goes at her again, slam her to the ground on her back and let the pup stand on her.. "

DO NOT LET THE PUP STAND ON HER!!

What you are telling the 2 year old is that you are alpha, and you decide the pack order, and that the 3 month old pup is more dominant than the 2 year old. The 2 year old is going to challange the 3 month old pup for it's role on the pack order, and you are going to end up with a dead puppy. A 3 month old pup cannot defined itself against an adult dog.  The 2 year old is not going to submit willingly to a 3 month old puppy.

Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 8:54 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I have to agree with Kauna and the first poster. I would recommend getting some professional training from a person familiar with pit bulls.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:37 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I had a dog that we had to put down because out of no where he just attacked and killed a small dog. Our dog wasn't even known to be an aggressive breed. If your dog is showing signs of aggression, which it clearly sounds like, then you need to separate the dog from all other dogs and humans, then get a professional trainer before your dog ends up killing.  I wish I would have been as lucky as you to get at least a warning before our dog killed.  It was the sadest day of my life and the family that owned the dog that my dog killed.  Please don't let it happen to you.

danyle02

Answer by danyle02 at 9:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Are you sure that she was trying to kill her, because older dogs will attack puppys to teach them. This usually does not end up in blood or any thing. How did you break them up? And I disagree with the previous poster. Dog aggression is not the same as human aggression. I had two pits, and one of them was dog aggressive but never human aggressive. Pit bulls are very rarely human aggressive. They are usually friendly to a fault. I agree that you should try professional training. Maybe she doesn't do well with other dogs and needs to be taught. Meanwhile, I would suggest giving her her own space.
    Allie428

Answer by Allie428 at 11:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2009